Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
help tame a 300 ultra mag >

help tame a 300 ultra mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

help tame a 300 ultra mag

Old 11-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Wink Yes, there is help!

I bought my wife a Rem Mod 7 in 300 WSM. At about 7.5 lb with a scope the recoil was brutal!!! I sent it to Magna Port and for $150 they installed a muzzle tamer. It's SWEET! that 300 WSM shoots like a .243! My wife has since killed 2 bears, a moose and caribou with it!
Old 11-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Relentless Pursuit
Physics is not a "perception". Though stupidity does easily quantify.(hint)

WHY would anyone download a chambering,to something lesser?!!?.................

The idea in my post was to shoot stuff that he can handle and work into heavier stuff to train himself to handle the recoil. With some time and effort he'll be shootin that big mag like a PH. It will just be another gun by then.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

I gotta go with relentless pursuit.. If you have a rifle that you enjoy shooting and can be accurate with then you will kill more game than the big 300 RUM that you have now. Maybe I'm not seeing it but you never did answer what you hunt for and what your typical hunting situation is. IMO you can waste money on trying to fix a rifle that you can't shoot or you could get one you can shoot.. seems simple to me
Old 11-23-2009, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vabyrd
People hate the 30-06 because its so popular.
Whoa! Back up.

My BS meter just went off.

I've been around guns since I was as tall as them and just a little taller when I killed my first monster buck. I have also been around a lot of gun guys in my days; from snipers, range lizards, deer hunting freaks to competition fanatics. NEVER had I heard that before.

Personally I wouldn't say "hate", but I don't appreciate the 30-06. Who gives a **** if you can have many different rounds for it? Around here it's like a 30-30; many people have them, but it's not their go-to gun when it comes time for the deer woods. For me it's too large a caliber than necessary. My favorite deer rifle is the .270 because I can take them out several hundreds of yards away, but most my shots are under 200yds and can get the job done with a .243 just fine. I have several calibers to choose from and the -06 is back of the list for me.

I tried to buy one here a week ago or so. I had a chance to buy a Rem 700 CDL SF in 30-06 for a great price, but declined. I just don't need it. When I find "my" price, I'll add it to my collection.

As for taming the big boy cannon, you can have someone make reduced powder loads, get a good recoil pad, use lighter bullets and find the new brake maker that can make a brake that is not as loud as the others.

iSnipe
Old 11-23-2009, 05:32 AM
Banned

Oh this will be good...do elaborate on both quiet brakes and/or quiet ports.

Be sure and stick your neck wayyyyyyyyyy out on this one................
Old 11-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

i met a guy who owns Evolution USA rifles. i asked him about reducing recoil on a .338 i was interested in buying, he said his wife shoots a .500 nitro in africa. she weighs 125lbs. and is about 65 years old. he also said loose the muzzle break and save your ears. so lets not be macho here. if its for hunting and a rare target shoot, you will get used to it. but if ur nervous about the kick buy a .270 wsm. you can also get a trigger job done and that will help with the flintch a but MAYBE.. trigger job $100.00 new gun $800.00
Old 11-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

1) mercury recoil absorption in stock secured by expanding foam
2) In ear plugs plus over the ear hearing protection while target shooting
3) "lead sled" for target shooting or reduced power loads with 150 gr bullets
4) NO BRAKE!!!
5) Shoot until you cant stop flinching and then sell the rifle OR shoot until you wonder why the recoil ever bothered you and enjoy the gun, whichever comes first