HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Opinions on Kel Tec 3 AT for CCW (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/308593-opinions-kel-tec-3-ccw.html)

Proofnpood 11-01-2009 06:14 AM

Opinions on Kel Tec 3 AT for CCW

I have a Taurus Millenium Pro PT111 9mm that I currently use for CCW and I really like it but sometimes when the weather is warmer, it is a little more difficult to conceal when wearing business casual. I was thinking about going with something smaller like the Kel Tec 3 AT or the PF9. I've read some good reviews on the PF9, but I'm not sure I would be gaining that much (concealability) over my Millenium Pro. The 3 AT is definitely smaller and more concealable but I am wondering what the .380 round is like as far as being effective as a personal protection round. I would appreciate some feedback from others on this?

statjunk 11-01-2009 08:40 AM

It's an excellent choice. It's been a while since I've seen the tests on ballistic gel but the .380 auto is a very capable self defense round.

If I remember correctly the 9mm only had a few more inches of penetration.

Tom

bugsNbows 11-01-2009 08:44 AM

Whatever lifts your skirt. A .380 is certainly better than nothing, but some argue it's merits for a CCW application.

Dan480Man 11-01-2009 08:33 PM

I carry a P3AT.
Took me awhile to figure out how to hold the thing properly to shoot well.
I had some cycling issues at first. I took and field stripped it, smoothed some rough edges, reassembled, and started jamming again.
I watched a friend shoot 2 clips through it no prob. I realized then it was my hold letting it squirt up under recoil. Sort of "limp wrist" effect I guess.
No probs after that.

It goes whereever I go, which is what defense is all about.
About the same size as my FIE .25acp, but thinner, and lighter, with much much more ooomph.

If I had to do it over, Id probably get the Ruger LCP. Only because I just show a little brand loyalty to Ruger, nothing against the Keltec.

The .380 is a fine defensive round.
A couple .356 caliber holes are plenty big enough to let a bad guys "oil" out, at defensive ranges.
(Doubt there'd be any real world difference between sub-1000fps .38cal rounds at defensive ranges. Ie:380,9mak,38spl, etc., with roundball)

The main thing to be concerned with, like you referred too, is having the gun ON you first of all. Then knowing how to use it well.
Caliber would be less important to me, than the first two.

VAhuntr 11-02-2009 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Proofnpood (Post 3491235)
I have a Taurus Millenium Pro PT111 9mm that I currently use for CCW and I really like it but sometimes when the weather is warmer, it is a little more difficult to conceal when wearing business casual. I was thinking about going with something smaller like the Kel Tec 3 AT or the PF9. I've read some good reviews on the PF9, but I'm not sure I would be gaining that much (concealability) over my Millenium Pro. The 3 AT is definitely smaller and more concealable but I am wondering what the .380 round is like as far as being effective as a personal protection round. I would appreciate some feedback from others on this?

What type of holster/belt are you using? With a quality holster and belt you should be able to conceal your Taurus pretty well.

DANTHEHUNTER 11-02-2009 01:52 AM

I have the PF9 and it works great for CCW The ITW holster and you almost forget you have it.

Proofnpood 11-02-2009 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by VAhuntr (Post 3492117)
What type of holster/belt are you using? With a quality holster and belt you should be able to conceal your Taurus pretty well.

I have several different holsters, I have an IWB Uncle Mikes, and a really nice BlackHawk size 03 (made for the XD and XD Comp) that fits my PT111 like a glove. Don't get me wrong, they work but sometimes when I'm wearing a tucked in dress shirt and casual slacks (required for line of work), I have trouble keeping things comfortable so I don't carry in those cases. I have a friend who carries the 3AT in his pants pocket of his casual slacks and feels pretty comfortable doing so. That is why I was thinking about downsizing a little more for those occasions.

Proofnpood 11-02-2009 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by DANTHEHUNTER (Post 3492122)
I have the PF9 and it works great for CCW The ITW holster and you almost forget you have it.

Have you compared the PF9 to the AT 3 in respect to size? If so, do you feel like the difference is negligible or is the AT3 quite a bit smaller? I've seen pictures but haven't found one I could put my hands on yet.