Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

T/C Encore

Old 10-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default T/C Encore

New to this forum and just wanted to give a shout out to my favorite hunting rifle of all time, the Thompson Center Encore. I recently updated mine with a Pro Hunter butt stock and man that thing sure tames the recoil a lot more than I thought it would!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome.. The Encores are love em or hate em.. I love mine..
Old 11-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the fit and finish of the Encore, and having an easy switchbarrel firearm is appealing, but I've heard too many people have frustrating accuracy issues with them inherent to the break-open design. I know a lot of these problems can be remedied with custom modification to the forearm, but for what T/C wants for the Encore, it better shoot as well as a budget bolt action that costs less than 1/2 as much. At the price point, the custom accuracy mods like freefloating the forearm, should be standard, IMO.

If I bought an Encore, it'd probably be a pistol in 454 Casull or 460 S&W Mag. For rifles, I'll stick with bolt-actions.

Mike
Old 11-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome! That recoil pad on the Pro Hunter stock is awesome isn't it! I have an Encore Endeavor and also love it. I have no plans to switch barrels though. I'll just use my Rem 700 or use it as an excuse to accumulate another rifle.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by driftrider
I like the fit and finish of the Encore, and having an easy switchbarrel firearm is appealing, but I've heard too many people have frustrating accuracy issues with them inherent to the break-open design. I know a lot of these problems can be remedied with custom modification to the forearm, but for what T/C wants for the Encore, it better shoot as well as a budget bolt action that costs less than 1/2 as much. At the price point, the custom accuracy mods like freefloating the forearm, should be standard, IMO.

If I bought an Encore, it'd probably be a pistol in 454 Casull or 460 S&W Mag. For rifles, I'll stick with bolt-actions.

Mike
I've got a buddy that bought a 7mm.08 and absolutely didn't like it. Couldn't get it to line in at all. Ended up trading it back off
Old 11-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Spike

I have been shooting encores for 6-7 years in 50 cal ml, 7mm-08 & 22lr in rifle, 308 pistol, all my barrels shoot 1 m.o.a. or less, in my opinion i find them the most handy hunting guns i have ever used period!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:30 AM
Fork Horn

all my barrels shoot 1 m.o.a. or less, in my opinion i find them the most handy hunting guns i have ever used period!
Ditto that. I've pistol barrels in .223, .308, .500 S&W and rifle barrels in .30-06 and .300 Win. All shoot well.
I have a friend, though, who was never happy with his 7mm Mag.
Pete