Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gunsmiths!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default gunsmiths!

remington 742 woodsmaster, i know what problems they harbor. i am curious as to how bad this looks? i havent shot it much yet, but it has worked fine so far. i have shot it at 50yds and they are sub 1" at that range. i am taking it to the range today so ill know more later.

here is the pic i was refering to
Old 10-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

anyone know?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

definitely looks like it needs sum ky jelly, or spit on it, ya dont luv er n e more or what...give er a good cleanin and sum love..ugly guns need luv too
Old 10-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

You aint got many shots left in that rifle.

The problem with those rifles is that every single time you fire them they beat themselves up and will eventually get to the point that they will not function at all.

What happens is as the bolt head unlocks from the barrel it rotates as the bolt body moves to the rear and the bolt head stops against the cam pin and the operating handle. Then the entire bolt moves to the rear to eject the fired case. When the bolt stops moving rearward the inertia in the bolt head causes it to rotate again and the bolt lugs slam into the race ways in the frame causing the dents that you have pictured. Eventually these dents get big enough to lock up the bolt in the receiver.

You can have a gunsmith fix this once or twice by reworking the raceways but eventually the rifle will be no good.

Last edited by bigbulls; 10-29-2009 at 05:27 PM.