Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which 300 Mag ? >

Which 300 Mag ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: Which 300 mag do you own ?
300 Ruger Compact Magnum
0%
300 Remington Short Action Ultra Mag
4.35%
300 Winchester Short Magnum
19.57%
300 H & H Magnum
0%
300 Winchester Magnum
52.17%
300 Weatherby Magnum
19.57%
300 Remington Ultra Mag
6.52%
30-378 Weatherby Magnum
2.17%
300 Pegasus
0%
None I dont need a mag.
13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Which 300 Mag ?

Old 10-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

I love my .300 Win Mag.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

300 wby mag. I love it. Ammo is no biggie because I hand load. I bought brass in bulk years ago so I'm good there.

You forgot the Lazzerini 308 Warbird.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
http://www.remington.com/products/am...300WB*PRA300WC

til ya hit 500 yards and its just as mi-nute as befor 500 yards

i did say it was not very much difference on either side b4 or after 500 yards..
http://www.remington.com/products/am...WSMB*PRSC300WB

there it is..apples to apples in blak and white....you tellin me a hand loader cant perform results as a silly lil manufacturer load?

Old 10-25-2009, 10:05 AM
bigcountry

ithere it is..apples to apples in blak and white....you tellin me a hand loader cant perform results as a silly lil manufacturer load?

You said exactly that the WSM shined after 500 yards. Thats just false.

I am explaining as patiently as I can, I will and can and always do outperform factory ammo. Only load I have not been able too is my 204. I am 50-100fps behind the factory load. For the 204 hornady has a blend, I cannot duplicate.

There is a good reason why we load our own. We can try a variety of over 100 powders with various burn rates, various densities, to cater to a gun. I am explaining to you, that WSM is a hyped up cartridge that purposely was given a higher running pressure rate for advertising. Its been well documented and is well known. Only thing limiting me with pressure signs with reloading.

These tables are useless to me or most experienced loader. They are one gun with one performance. You might get 3100fps in one barrel with no pressure signs, but then can only get 3000fps in another with pressure signs. Only reliable data is one that a rifleman has for his gun with his chronograph and his gear.

Last edited by bigcountry; 10-25-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

i did say it was not very much difference on either side b4 or after 500 yards..
http://www.remington.com/products/am...WSMB*PRSC300WB

there it is..apples to apples in blak and white....you tellin me a hand loader cant perform results as a silly lil manufacturer load?

If you don't know that yes, this is exactly why people do it, I'd quit asking disbelieving questions until you learn why handloading is so popular.

1) Factory loads in popular calibers are loaded weak because the manufacturer has to account for the fact that they may be used in an old gun design that cannot handle pressure levels of a modern bolt gun. For example 30-06 loads that won't blow up a M1 Garand's gas action.

2) Factory loads have to be set to a conservative length that will chamber in all guns. A handloader can seat the bullet out near the lands, optimizing accuracy and maximizing powder volume (and increasing velocity).

3) Factory loads will always be loaded soft because different guns show pressure signs at different velocities, so they must be conservative to avoid making the shells dangerous in some guns.

So with my 300WM, I can seat 200gr bullets within a few hundredths of the lands and still fit them in the mag, increasing my powder volume. However the shells are past SAAMI specs so they would not chamber in many rifles but that's ok, I care about the performance of only one gun and my shells are only loaded to use in one gun. If I cared to give up a bit of accuracy I could easily load them comfortably north of 3000 fps, with 200gr bullets. The only reason I do not is I achieve maximum accuracy just shy of that.

There is no way on earth that a 300WSM, with a 200gr bullet set to chamber and fit the magazine of most rifles, is going to match this performance.

The difference between good handloaded ammo and factory ammo in the 30-06 is even more striking because factory 30-06 ammo has to be manufactured fearing it will be used in many old military rifles.

Until a few years ago handloading's major draw had a lot less to do with cost savings and a lot more to do with maximizing performance. This is why you see scarce serious shooters out there with factory ammo.

Your "apples to apples" is like comparing a half-rotted apple picked off the ground (your 300WM examples) to one purposely picked at its prime and waxed up to sell better (WSM). Not all apples are the same.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok, jus seemed ass bakwards to me but i can see what ur sayin bout them hypin it up. these things are good to know as i have been readin up on makin my own befor purchasing the equipment, cause lets face it i need ta read a lot befor i get a bunch of stuff i know nuthin about..i appreciate the time you took to write all that info..thx again
Old 10-25-2009, 03:43 PM
bigcountry

ok, jus seemed ass bakwards to me but i can see what ur sayin bout them hypin it up. these things are good to know as i have been readin up on makin my own befor purchasing the equipment, cause lets face it i need ta read a lot befor i get a bunch of stuff i know nuthin about..i appreciate the time you took to write all that info..thx again
There is nothing wrong with a WSM. Good cartridge as long as you don't have feed issues in a controlled round feed. I would rather have it in a push round feed.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry but I never heard of the Lazzeroni 308 Warbird. Where can I find info on this ?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Either the .300 Win or .300 Weby.That said I'd much rather have a .338 Win or .340 Weby for N.American game.IMO the .300's offer nothing more than just a little flatter trajectory for long shots than either the 30-06 or .308 with considerably more recoil.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

THE ULTIMATE ELK AND MOUNTAIN RIFLE.. MODEL 7 in 300 SAUM, stainless synthetic with a 3X9 Leupold.. can't figure out why this rifle never caught on... it has to be the best kept factory rifle in history... hard to beat in my opinion.. lightweight, powerful, easy to point, compact, great action... super accurate for a little snubby..great all around with big big power when needed.. too bad ole green couldn't establish a market for it......too be honest there's not alot of difference between them all.. maybe 300-400 fps at best and a big .30 cal hole will do the trick from most angles....

Last edited by Frank in the Laurel; 10-28-2009 at 06:31 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.