Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
I know there is no one perfect caliber, but... >

I know there is no one perfect caliber, but...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I know there is no one perfect caliber, but...

Old 10-22-2009, 06:20 PM
SDK
Spike

Default I know there is no one perfect caliber, but...

Can I get some help on the closest one for me

A bit of background for you...

I used to hunt about about 20 years ago as a teen, and am looking to get started again. Back then I lived in the New York, and there were two primary calibers everyone hunted with, 30-06 or 30-06 LOL.

I am now living in Oregon, and am heading up to Washington for a new job in a few months. I have a family, and will be on a budget for a few years until I get settled in. I want to get the most bang for my buck out of a single rifle for a few years. I will be after primarily deer, and want something good for small species up through Mule Deer. If it's not too much to ask, I'd like to be able to go after elk as well. I don't have a set in stone budget, but am not looking to spend more than $1,500 on the gun and scope.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be OK with a 30-06 and some research into different loads, but there are so many new choices now. Is there anything else I should be thinking about? I also don't handload yet, so I'm looking for a caliber with a good selection of ammo choices.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Scott

Any advice would be appreciated
Old 10-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

30-06 or 7mm Remington Magnum would be my choice. That's plenty budget for whatever you want, but a good rifle for less money-- I'm going to have to recommend Savages. Others would be the Remington 700, Winchester 70, Weatherby Vanguard, or Ruger 77. My favorite is the 700, but I can't argue with the performance I've gotten out of my Savage 111 7mm rem mag. Keeps 'em under an inch pretty easy. Granted I handload, but I'm sure it could do about as good with factory.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Many on this forum have more experience than I, but I did a lot of research on my 700 in .300 WSM while I had it and it certainly seems to be the do it all caliber. Very flat shooting with a lot of punch and not much more recoil than my 06. Got to admit though, the 30-06 might just be your all around best choice-----
Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

You said it already....................everyone can't be wrong.

For the one gun guy you can't beat a .30-06.

BTW - Spend at least as much (some say 2X) on your scope as you do on your rifle.

Last edited by Sheridan; 10-22-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will only say to use, what you are comfortable with.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
You said it already....................everyone can't be wrong.

For the one gun guy you can't beat a .30-06.

BTW - Spend at least as much (some say 2X) on your scope as you do on your rifle.
Can't argue with that logic!

Sheesh, you can buy .30-06 ammo in the corner drug store here.

FWIW- I have a standard Weatherby Vanguard in 7mmRemMag that shoots sub-MOA groups with Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips out of the box. It sure didn't break the bank.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well with all the new technology, chamberings and cartridge and bullet advancements that have taken place in the last 20 years you need to take all of that into some serious consideration. I know you used to hunt with a .30-06 or a .30-06 but you have to look long and hard and ask yourself........."Why not a .30-06?"
Old 10-23-2009, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

30.06 would come to mind first. Personally i like the 7mm-08 but have both. 30.06 just provides a little more power.

for the rifle, if you are looking for a good but inexpensive one, look at MARLIN XL7 or XS7 (short action). Can't beat the pricing.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

.30-06 is the way to go if you ask me, simply because it has the most loadings and shells are everywhere. Also, it makes for a good backup rifle if you start acquiring additional guns. You'll have one almost guaranteed to work if your primary weapon goes kaput and you're in a pinch.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:20 PM
SDK
Spike

Thanks for all of the advice (and the great pic Big Z)!

I'm seriously leaning towards the Savage or Marlin in 30-06 at this point. I'm going to miss the big game seasons this year, but figure I can pick something up and spend 8 months practicing and breaking it in.

I have a couple of good salmon runs and some bunny hunts planned to keep me busy in the meantime. Are there any other Pacific Northwesters here?

Now I get to all ready start thinking about rifle #2. I am going to take a serious look and test some rifles in both 7mm and .300 wsm.

Thanks all!
Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.