Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Should I buy this? >

Should I buy this?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Should I buy this?

Old 10-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default Should I buy this?

My buddy offered to sell me his Remington 700 with a nice Leupold VX-II riflescope for $600. I really want to buy this but just wanted to see what you guys think? Is it a good deal? I have never owned a rifle, just a shotgun and a bow. The main reason he is selling it is that he can't hunt with because where we live you can't hunt with rifles, but I own and have access to land up north where it is legal to hunt with a rifle so he thought I would put it to better use.

So what do you think?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

A few questions come to mind,
1. What's it chambered in?
2. How old is it?
3. Wood or synthetic stock?
4. How much has it been shot and how good of condition is it in?

Bottomline, I have a 700 in .243 win that I use for varmit and have used for deer and I love the gun. The gun is 20+ years old and still shooting 1" groups at 100 yards. I'm not sure how competitive a price that is but seeing as its a buddy of yours, I'd probably go ahead if its a decent rifle and chambered for a cartridge that will suite your needs.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ask to take it to the range..........................

You'll know if you should buy it when you get back.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Remington 700 comes in many different selections
that can run the same as, or priced hundreds of dollars more than your willing to pay for this rifle second hand minus the mount and scope.
If six hundred is all you can muster up for a rifle scope mount combo it may be worth it for you.
Again this depends on the condition of gun make, scope mounts and caliber .
Your more than likely getting a fair freindly honest deal.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

It's chambered to a .270 Winchester, I remember he bought it about 5 years ago, he was really excited when he got it. It is a wood stock and he has hardly shot it, all he has done is sighted it in at the range and like I said he hasn't been able to hunt with it. I would say it is in new to brand new condition, shot maybe a box out of it while at the range.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jump on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The gun and the scope will cost twice that much,if not more!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I was looking for a rifle similar to that I'd probably do it. However, if I wasn't looking for a rifle and didn't have a use for one then I'd have to think long and hard about it. Not enough of a super duper deal to me that it's worth buying if you don't want it. However, if you do want a rifle it's a great deal.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

+1 for jump on it.. If you're looking for a good all around cartridge a 270 isn't a bad way to for anything Muledeer or smaller IMO. I've got a ruger in it. I'd jump on it before he starts askin more.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd buy it.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a BDL with a VXII. If so, I would jump on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.