Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Custom Rifle....help me build it >

Custom Rifle....help me build it

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Custom Rifle....help me build it

Old 10-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

I agree Skeeter....and the reloading kit will be coming from "Santa" I'm hoping.
As far as a Rugers action being more difficult to pillar bed, do y'all mean it can't be as well or it just takes more time and effort. I mean, in the end, can I have a Ruger action bedded just as well as a Remington 700 action if the smith knows what he's doing?
I'm just having trouble deciding because there are things about each action that I like.
If it helps any, when this is all said and done, this will be a hunting rifle that I will also shoot year round for load development and recreation.
I'm extremely pickly when it comes to rifles, which is why I'm thinking the custom/customized rout will get me exactly what I want.
Money wise, it's definitly looking better if I buy a production rifle as close as I can get to what I want and then start customizing it to fit what I want.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would use the Ruger action you already have. I have a 280 & I like it.
Because you are spending the money on a custom rifle you might also want to look at the 280-A.I. or the 338-06?

Good luck with what ever you have built.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

if you're looking at the .280 and 7mm RM, do you handload? if so check out a .280 Ackley Improved...

or how about a .270WSM, or 7mm WSM(if you handload)

How about an HSprecision? 1/2"moa.... for around 3grand...?

I'd go with what the gunsmith preferred...so if you want a CRF etc...you may need to look at another gunsmith, I say let guys work how they like to work, I wouldn't force a guy who loved rem700 to build me a rifle on a ruger action if he loves and works on rem700 amost exclusively.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

I went thru this about 15 years ago. It's a fun but more expesive than it looks at first glance. I used a Interarms MarK X action(Large Ring Mauser), added a Shilen barrel and nice semi-custom wood stock for my 338-06. I couldn't be happier with the result.

Finding a good action will probably be the hardest part.
As far as caliber, if you're going to the trouble and expense of doing a custom rifle, get something that isn't found in every gun rack in the the country.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with buying something different. You mentioned the 280rem a few times and I think the 280AI would be an excellent choice. In a pinch regular factory 280 rem loads can be used to boot. If your wanting something more but like the 7mm/.284 class of bullet, a 7mm STW?? Thinking that way when I need to rebarrel. The list goes on.

Being a southpaw your problem is going to be finding donor actions at a reasonable price. It's a pain in the arse, if you find one buy it!! If nothing else it gives you some trade bait.

Good Luck