Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Nikoplex or BDC reticle for .223 coyote gun >

Nikoplex or BDC reticle for .223 coyote gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Nikoplex or BDC reticle for .223 coyote gun

Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Spike

Default Nikoplex or BDC reticle for .223 coyote gun

I have decided to get a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope for my Stevens model 200 (.223) rifle. I can't decide whether to get a standard crosshair (Nikoplex) reticle or Nikon's BDC reticle. I will be using this gun for coyote hunting (sitting and calling) and wanted to know what you guys thought about the BDC reticle. Would the BDC reticle work well for this type of application (.223, still hunting/calling or would you recomend the standard crosshair reticle? I would like to know your thoughts and what you guys think. Since I will be calling I figure that a majority of my shots will fall under 100 yards. If this is the case I was think the standard crosshair (Nikoplex) reticle would work best. At a first glance the BDC reticle seems too "busy", but maybe it just one of those things that you have to get used to.

Thanks Guys.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Nikoplex.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:31 AM
bigcountry

I am not big on the BDC. I have it on my 204 ruger. Takes a lot of work to use it properly. You basically have to use the power of the scope to adjust for your intended yardage. For example, you may use 10X for one line at 500 yards, but have to use 9X for the 400 yard post, etc. Or you have to use one power and note zero POI for ever line. You might be dead on at 100 yards, and use the second line for 220 yards, third for 355yard, etc.

I would rather have mildot and use a mildot calculation based off of velocity, and bullistic coef, etc.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

From your description I would stick with the Nikoplex. As you stated you will be calling and most of your shots will be under 100 yards. There is no reason to have a BDC reticle for calling coyotes. Enjoy.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just use a regular Nikoplex. Not very busy, and easier to see at night or in low light.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have both and I would go with the Nikoplex if I had to choose again . If you have the time to range your target the BDC is fine but that usually isn't the case .
Old 10-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on what load you plan on shooting, personally with a 55 gr ballistic tip, I'd say get the Nikoplex, zero 2" high at 100 yds and you'll be point blank out to about 250 with a 215 yd zero.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

# 1 - I'm not a bright guy...............so I believe in "keep it simple stupid"

So, if I can have a reticle that has a "base line" as to which crosshair to use for what distance; that's a good thing.

#2 - Since I'm not a bright guy and when I get an opportunity to take a "longer" shot I don't normally have the time to break-out a calculator.

#3 - With my Burris anyway, they provide a chart of most of the common calibers as to which crosshair to hold for what distance.

For example; yesterday I was using my .204, so the chart said to use the main crosshair for 100 yards (if sighted in at 100 yards), the second crosshair for 250 yards and the third crosshair for 400 yards.............
(.204 has a PBR using a 32gr. bullet of 287 yds)

Modern rifles/ammo will out shoot our abilities.

Put your rifle in a good gun vise and you will see what I mean (given you have the right gun/ammo combination).....................1" MOA is great for any hunting situation !!!

2" would still be okay - LOL (most PH's use a pie plate to test their clients).

Nothing can replace testing it at the range at each distance though.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I like the Nikoplex.
What he said.