HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Coyote gun - Camo? Yes or No (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/306426-coyote-gun-camo-yes-no.html)

Absolute Giant 10-10-2009 06:22 AM

Coyote gun - Camo? Yes or No

I posted this in the small game/predator forum but haven't got much of a response. Thought I would see what the gun guys had to say or thought about this.

I wanted to purchase a .223 rifle last year for coyote hunting but it didn't happen. I am looking again and wanted to ask you experienced yote hunters if you thought a camo gun was an advantage or worth the extra money? Since I don't know how much I will get into yote hunting I am not going to spend a lot of money on a gun. I am actually considering the Stevens Model 200 in .223. This is available in a grey synthetic or camo stock. I am leaning toward the grey synthetic based on cost but thought I would ask you guys about the camo option. I know that for turkey hunting a camo gun is nice. I wasn't sure what a coyote see's (if they are color blind)?

Thanks Guys

homers brother 10-10-2009 08:20 AM

IMHO - Camo isn't worth the extra cost. I've hunted coyotes with wood-stocked, blued rifles for almost 35 years. More important to have the right clothing (especially in the cold) and sit still.

North Texan 10-10-2009 10:16 AM

Camo on the gun is not necessary. If you are going for better concealment, use camo tape and strips of mesh to break up the outline of the gun and yourself. But even that is probably not necessary. I have had plenty of success hunting without having a camo gun or camo clothing.

Big Z 10-10-2009 10:22 AM

Camo isn't necessary. And with the stevens, it won't serve as additional weather protection as it's only on the stock.

unklechuckles19 10-11-2009 07:40 AM

I just sent a stock out to Dynamic Finishes to get coated in camo, cost was $65 plus shipping. I'd get the synthetic stock based on the price difference, and in the future if you'd like to have a camo stock instead, you can either purchase a camo stock, or send it out and get coated. I haven't received my stock back yet, so I cannot comment on the quality yet, but from what I've read its very good.

halfbakedi420 10-11-2009 07:57 AM

camo doesnt matter, animals have been being killed for a long time with guns befor camo paint on a gun came out. i do prefer the camo on the metal parts cause its wipe and go, and ya dont have ta worry bout it rustin. either way is good.

i guess what im sayin is i gotta bar shortrac in moassy oak breakup and i luv , what i do hate is havin to go and spray all the other guns down so the bluin dont turn orange or red.

Dan71 10-12-2009 05:31 PM

I use a Winchester Mod 70 Coyote in 243. It has a stainless barrel and a wood stock. I dont think it really makes a difference and like the above post stated its not worth the extra bucks.

Im already in cover when Im hunting Yotes.

elgallo114 10-13-2009 02:55 AM

I bought two rolls of camo form. One in digital desert, the other in digital woodland. With these two colors, I can camo my gun for most any environment I shoot in. And I wrap it a little loose to kinda "blur" up the outline.

I have absolutely no idea if that actually made any difference when hunting. But it makes me feel a little better knowing I don't have to wonder if I should have.

zrexpilot 10-13-2009 04:15 AM

camo patterns are for catching hunters, not killing animals.

marlin30/30_drabe 10-13-2009 12:02 PM

on sunny days the blueing will kill you with the shine