Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Coyote gun - Camo? Yes or No >

Coyote gun - Camo? Yes or No

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Coyote gun - Camo? Yes or No

Old 10-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Camo is not a necessity. If you want to tinker with your rifle you can always paint it yourself. Here are a few I have done just for the hell of it.

For my daughter

For me

Old 10-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Spike

ACLAKEY, very nice job for a do it yourself paint job. I have to say I'm very impressed. What's your secret? What type of paint do you use for a synthetic stock?

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

just get the local "tagger" to do ya one up L.A style lol
Old 10-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

I have been using the Krylon Camouflage with Fusion. It is an ultra matte color that actually bonds with the plastic.

http://www.krylon.com/products/camou...on_technology/

For the webbing effect I have been using Krylon Webbing spray. I can only find it at Jo-Anns online store.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd33891

It comes out of the can as you see it on the stock. Very easy stuff to use.

I will let the stock sit for a week and cure than hit it with ultra matte clear coat finish. It adds a little extra protection. Don't spray the clear coat on until the paint is cured or it will stay tacky and never really set up.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Camo not neccesary but Save has a Model 10 Predator Kit Scope Bareel Stock is all camo Found it in a magizine for a dealers cost of 612.00 in 223 and 204
Old 10-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey ACLakey,

Just curious, what did you use to tape off your gun? I like how you left the grip panels the way they came, but I've been having a heck of a time taping off mine. I always end up with a raised or jagged edge. I've tried blue and green painter's tape. Any tips?
Old 10-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

I have painted several guns for predator hunting. As to if it makes a big difference or not I'm not sure. I do like the fact that a painted gun is much less likely to rust. I have alway used the krylon ultra flat paint. Its easy, cheap, and really quick to touch up.

I was predator calling one time in the dead of winter, was using a black synthetic stocked Ruger 10/22mag when a fox came in to the call. It was about 60 yards out and moving thru some brush so I sat up a little and held up the rifle waiting for it to come out the other side. As soon as it cleared the brush it lit out like its tail was on fire. I couldn't figure it, I hadn't moved and was very well camoed up with snow camo, there wasn't any real reason it should have spooked, the only thing I could figure was that the all black rifle stuck out like s ore thumb against all that white. I painted the whole rifle in a snow camo that night and then waited a week for the paint smell to wear off. A week later I called in the same field and the fox came in and I shot it. Did it happen because I had the rifle painted up? Not sure, but I know it doens't hurt anything.

If you don't want to pain your rifle you can do an excellent cammo job using white "vet wrap" a bandaging wrap generally used for horses, it is rubberized and only sticks to itself. Here are a couple of pictures of some of my predator rifles.

Last edited by Josh Sorensen; 10-17-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by elgallo114
Hey ACLakey,

Just curious, what did you use to tape off your gun? I like how you left the grip panels the way they came, but I've been having a heck of a time taping off mine. I always end up with a raised or jagged edge. I've tried blue and green painter's tape. Any tips?
I use the standard blue painters tape and then trim with an exacto knife. If I cut too much or don't like the edge I just put more tape on and re trim. Just take your time and it will come out great.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ACLakey
I use the standard blue painters tape and then trim with an exacto knife. If I cut too much or don't like the edge I just put more tape on and re trim. Just take your time and it will come out great.

Ok. Thanks. I just hate taking my time.