Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage 10 FP >

Savage 10 FP

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage 10 FP

Old 06-16-2003, 08:45 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Savage 10 FP

Naw, didn' t fall, just got a Browning A-Bolt and found the most accurate out of box rifle for only $490. Traded in the Savage I tried. If I have do all kinds of tricks to get the guns shootin, I don' t want it. If I have to wait 100 rounds for the barrel to brake in, or replace a crappy stock, I can get the same for same price or less out there. And don' t have to jump thru hoops to do it. Just buy the gun, take to the range and shoot it.

Old 06-19-2003, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

Got to try the savage out at 200 yds,sure has passed my expectations,check out the 5-shot group I got after getting it zeroed at 200.This is still with the crappy stock and a steel washer between the barrel and the front piller post.
Soon as I get a better scope and load up more bullets going to see what it does a 300.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:38 AM
bigcountry

Wow, wish mine would have shot that way. Maybe I didn' t give it much of a shot. Anymore, I don' t give a gun very long to shoot well. Maybe 100 rounds max. Out of the box, it either shoots or don' t. Congrads on your groups. Sounds like you got a shooter.

Old 06-19-2003, 09:06 AM

Here is my Savage story. I currently own 4 Savage bolt guns and the least accurate one is still capable of producing 5 shot MOA groups. That' s ok because it' s on the cheapy 111L models in .250 Savage that I paid $200 for and use as a beater.

I have 2 heavy barreled rifles. 1 is a model 110 FLP in .25-06 Rem, the other a 116 FLCSAK in .270 Winchester. The FLCSAK is thought of as a hunting rifle, but the barrel contour is closer to a varmint rifle than a sporter weight barrel. Both of these rifles average 5 shot groups under 1/2" (for dozens of groups) and both have shot a few groups in the .2" s. 300 yard groups of 1.25" are the norm for both of these rifles. I am not talking about rifles that occasionally do this, I am talking about rifles that will shoot 10 groups in a row this good.

Now that being said, my 2 heavier barreled rifles could never be mistaken for a out of the box stock rifle. I have stiffened the cheesy stocks with acraglas and valve rods, installed a 12oz trigger on one and a 20oz trigger on the other, and bedded the action properly on both.

All in all to have spent as little money as I did, I am very happy with the accuracy I get from both of these rifles. Considering I am a lefty, it would have cost me a pile of money to have 4 bolt action rifles made up in the calibers I wanted from Remington or Winchester.

I see quite a few more people diss Savage on the Internet than I do when I am shooting my Savages at the gun range. I have angered more than a couple of shooters with far nicer guns. On the other hand, on the internet I hear about a lot more 1/2 MOA Savage rifles than I have ever seen at the range However, I think that last comment really applies to shooters instead of the rifle.

It is not reasonable to expect an out of the box factory rifle to shoot 1/2 MOA. You may get an occassional group of 1/2 MOA, but to really get a sense of the rifles accuracy - take the average of at least 10 groups. Heck, I have fired a 0.6" group at 200 yards with a Savage 99 before. However, I wouldn' t even joke about it being that accurate. It averages about 1.25" at 100 yards.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:37 PM
Typical Buck

bigcountry how is the browning doing?I got a stalker in 270 wsm the first of the year and it is awesome out of the box,only adjusted the triger on it.Haven' t shot it much since I got the savage.

Buzz,you said it is not resonable to expect a 1/2 moa out of the box factory rifle,I did expect it out of the savage because I had heard so much how accurate they are out of the box,especially at 100 yds.I haven' t shot it that much yet but I think it will shoot as good as I can shoot.I am planning on having mine bedded and the stock filled to make it stronger and the action trued probably during deer season ,but having to much fun shooting it the way it is right now.
If I can shoot a .413 group @200 it must have been the rifle,I am in my 60' s,had by-pass surgery last sept, getting over a heart attack I had a month ago,and cannot hold as still as I could 20 or even 5 yrs ago.

Old 06-20-2003, 07:53 AM
bigcountry

I tell ya what. I used to dog the jap browning something horrible. Never again. Its a 308 Medallion. It shoots consistently 1.5" groups at 200 yards with 165gr Sierra Gamekings and 45gr of Varget. It shoots very consistently 1" groups at 200 yards with 47gr of Varget and 150gr Bullistic tips. The only catch to do this is you have to let it cool down 10min every two rounds fired. If you fire three, it will drop to the left about an inch. Its pretty uncanny on how predictable it is on this. But for a featherwieght gun, I can' t be more happier. Looking at the high points, nice fit and finish. Trigger set 3lbs right from factory. Barrel totally free floated. And even has a sako type extractor.

Here is what I am used too. I am used to buying a Rem700 or a Win 70, taking it to the range and be displeased. First off, take the gun smith. Automatically have the trigger adjusted, and if a 700, have the front forarm pressure point taken out. If wood on either, have the barrel free floated and action glass bedded. If synthtic, have pillars in stalled. Then, go home and take some JB' s and smooth out that throat with 200 stroaks. Then after all that, I finally have a gun I am happy with. And usually only find one, maybe two bullet/loads that will get submoa groups 3 out of 5 groups. Lastly, I hate the 700 extractor C-Ring.

But with this gun, so far, it shot Coreloks 1.2" groups a 100 yards, Fed Bullistic tips, .5" groups, Fed Gamekings, .7" groups, and Win Silvertips 1.3" groups and my reloads are much better.

I know I am going on and on, but I am so used to getting the shaft when buying guns, its very refreshing to get a shooter. Like that Savage I got, I really expected high expectations, but got 1.5" groups at 100 yards. So after 50 rounds, I had to make a decision, to start working on the savage with a new trigger, new stock, and try to smooth out that barrel, or trade it. Maybe I will give them another chance. I thought about trying out that one with the Mcmillian stock. With my bad luck, I have to pull out all the stops.

Old 06-20-2003, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you got a good one in the Browning.I never thought I would own a browning let alone a magum,never desired the recoil.The 23 inch barrel is why I got the browning,I am short and a 24 in barrel is a little long for my tastes,I have some of the 24 in in rem. in Rem.I haven' t got to shoot all that much this year because of rain and sickness but hopefully I will get more this summer.Everyone I know that has a browning says theirs is very accurate.
With the 270 wsm it was pretty hard to find a load that out did the factory bullets,I have a couple that shoot very well so far though,I haven' t shot 10 five shot groups to get an average but I did shoot 3 three shot groups of less than a 1/2 in,@ 100 yds,less than an in at 200 and less than 2 inches @300.I don' t know whether I can do it again but it tells me the rifle is capable of doing it again.Heck I haven' t even shot 50 bullets with the same load yet.
Glad you got a good one in the Browning.