Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Gun Care: Hunting In Wet Weather >

Gun Care: Hunting In Wet Weather

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Care: Hunting In Wet Weather

Old 10-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Gun Care: Hunting In Wet Weather

For the most part I've been a fair weather hunter. I want to know how to care for my gun when it gets wet.

1.) Why is getting my gun wet NOT a good idea? It can't be helped when hunting.

2.) Are there products I can put on my gun to help it when it does get wet?

3.) How do I care for my gun when it does get wet?

There are many times I've considered hunting by taking my gun case along just so my rifle doesn't get soaked!

What tips or recommendations can you give me in caring for my rifles when they get wet?

Thanks,

iSnipe
Old 10-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

most wipe on oils arent gonna last long. they sell small water proof carry cases but ive used the plastic thin suit storage bags from the dollar store. there are coating you can apply like spray on duracoat or you can have a gun dipped in camo that will keep most of the major items from rust. there are teflon coatings from the black ice company that i love too. if you plan on hunting in all types of weather maybe have a beater gun and get one of the do it yourself coating kits. http://www.lauerweaponry.com/item-de...TOKEN=18333361 http://hunting.about.com/od/shooting...ish_review.htm
Old 10-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I'm about to get a "beater" gun. LOL! I did just buy a Remington 700 ADL .243 with synthetic stock. I just can't bare to see my BDL Deluxes getting wet! They're too pretty to take outdoors. LOL!

I'm also in the market for a H&R single shot, most likely in a 30-30.

Right now I use Remington oil on my guns. I kind of clean them with it by wiping, then wipe off the excess. When my guns do get wet, I take a rag and wipe them dry... the parts I can reach anyway, then I lightly oil them down again.

iSnipe
Old 10-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Spike

I cut a "contractor" black plastic (garbage) bag in half length ways. This becomes a very nice cover for your rifle and is easily removed for a shot. I also put black electrical tape over the muzzle.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Covering the muzzle and keeping water out of the barrel is the NUMBER 1 priority. It is a MUST! (Unless you are a big fan of a first row seat to a barrel explosion)

I am a big fan of WD-40 (WD = water displacing). Spray and wipe down for actual hunt time and wipe down and seriously apply in the down time. You can do a regular clean and oil when you get home.

And you can get WD-40 anywhere and in so many different sizes.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

I like hunting the slop. Of course, what your gun is made of has a big factor...
My stainless and synthetic stock ML has scope covers, so I really dont do much prep- When I get er home I first let it warm up, paper towel it off, Rem oil it, and allow it to further dry overnight before putting back together.
My wood stock blued guns I apply gun grease to the barrel/stock/action space, and to the trigger guard assembly before putting together.
After the hunt if still hunting several days, I will again allow to warm up, paper towel off, blow off with air hose, wipe down with oil of preference. I have never had a rust problem in 30 years of hunting.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

if you let your gun dry for a night and then give it a good coat of oil you should be fine

dont use wd 40 on guns its flammible
Old 10-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by marlin30/30_drabe
dont use wd 40 on guns its flammible

It only is Mildly flammible for about 2 mins after it is out of the can. i have used it on stuff i am welding on and have never had much of a fire prob with it.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Spike

good thread iSnipe, ive been seriously thinking about purchasing an all weather gun specificaly for rainy days just so that i dont have to be worring about a rusty barrel.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Spike

Would the game smell the wd40 its pretty smelly stuff..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.