Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Recommedation on Whitetail Rifle? >

Recommedation on Whitetail Rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recommedation on Whitetail Rifle?

Old 10-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I like the 7X57 and 7-08, but shoot a Ruger in 6.5mm Swede...........
Old 10-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Spike

Default re

I guess I'm not sure what gun to get now...

I thought the .35 Remintons would be a good gun for me maybe not. Almost look's like I should just stick with a 30-30 lever gun and move up to a 30-30, 336 XLR SS with the longer 24" barrel and shoot the newer polymer tip Hornady ammo.

Now to answer a few questions, I haven't really looked at any cowboy guns like the 44 mag or 45 colt but I intend to. The few looked at over ther years had octagon barrels and were heavy maybe 45-70 gov't's. I will check the CB guns out though.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:05 AM
Fork Horn

Ummm not to rain on this threads parade but what about Hearing protection? They don't always drown out all noise. Some plugs are specifically made to allow low volume things like talking in while some thing like a gun going off would be suppressed.
I had allways thought that hearing protection was a "all or nothing" type of thing until I was handed a pair of those ones I told you about.
It should say on the box whether they suppress every thing or allow selective hearing.
I am 25 and I am starting to use these myself. To much hearing loss this early in the game, and it is not one of those injuries that will heal to 100% with time. All hunters should seek out this hearing protection no matter what age I think.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Marlin levers can be had in cartridges like .444, 45/70, 375 Win, 38/55. These bigger bore guns may be more tolerable for you, and they'll certainly put deer on the ground. Learn how to make the "high shoulder shot". Deer normally drop on the spot.

I can't imagine having an issue while wearing muffs, so you obviously have some real damage. Hopefully you'll find one of these cartridges or another that resolves your problem.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Spike

Default re

Swithback,

Thank you for the excellant point you make I just hope others out there are reading this.

Hearing protection is so VERY important when using firearms of any type. I have been wearing hearing protection for many years now, muffs at the range 100% of the time and ear plugs (solid type as the baffle type with the little hole in them are dangerous and don't always work and will still let dangerous levels of nose into your inner ear). I found out I had a moderate sensorial neural high frequency hearing loss (SNHFHL) 25 years ago and was educated by the Audiologist about wearing hearing protection. If you don't your hearing will most likely get noticeably worse and you could end up with "Tinnitus" which is a nasty teapot whistling or humming sound in your ears which can become so loud it's disabling for about 4 million people in this Country. Just ask some of our Vet's coming back from the gulf war that saw action. The human ear was not designed for noise levels above 85 decibels let alone 100-110 db.

I wish I could wear electronic muffs out hunting all the time as most rifle fire isn't an issue for me when wearing them like at the range. The problem is when it's cold out (10-20 degree's) in the winter wearing a set of electronic muffs proves to be tricky. You have to wear a good hat to keep your head warm and from body heat escaping. When hunting I wear solid ear plugs which then makes it hard to hear game. I want to get a quality pair of Walkers Game ear electronic hearing aids that turn off in a fraction of a second to protect your inner ear when you fire your weapon. These are expensive a good set is approximately $500-1,000 dollars I believe.

Again, thanks for the advice.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Defender the 35 Remington is easily a 200 yard deer cartridge. Granted some of the anemic ammo that is out there wouldn't make it but the Hornady leverevolution ammo isn't one of them.

Sighted in 3 inches high at 100 yards will put you back to zero at about 180 yards and about 1.5-2 inches low at 200 yards and about 7-9 inches low at 250 yards. and still have about 1150 foot pounds of kinetic energy at 250 yards.

Going past 200 yards with a .35 remington can become tedious. I think that you'd be better off with the 30-30 for those longer shots. JMO
I really don't know where you guys are coming up with the 35 Remington not being a good 200 yard cartridge but the 30-30 is????????
Old 10-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Spike

Default re

The more I think about it and the type of hunting I do in thicker cover I probably SHOULDN'T OF SAID in my original posting I needed a rifle that had to kill a deer out to 250 yards.

I new gun (other then the current 30-30 Winchester I have with a 20" barrel) with abilty to accurately hit a deer out to 150-175 yards would be more realistic based on the type of hunting I do. A gun that will shoot accuratly and be able to punch a larger "Wound Channel" in a deer unlike a 30-30 where many times the bullet entry/exit hole is pencil size. I'm tired of hitting a Whitetail through the lungs/heart and having them run 40-150 yards. I guess this is where the big bore rifles come in.... I know high caliber rifles can have devastating shocking power when they hit a deer but as I said the Loud "Crack" noise they produce from the 60,000-70,000 PSI barrel pressures bother me. I was looking for a middle ground I guess you could say in a rifle between a 30-30 and a high caliber with with lower PSI barrel pressure that will offer me more then one shot.

I do hunt thick cover (my average shot is 40-75 yards) and I can't see ever making a shot past 175 yards max. I want to hunt a new area this year which is a large creek flood plain with a huge hemlock swamp on one side. Deer cross the creek and bed in this swamp during most of the day and use it for escape cover. I wanted to stay on the opposite side of the creek with the wind in my face so not to spook any deer as they come out in the early evening preparing to cross the creek to make their evening rounds and walk up the ridge to feed in the farmers fields. I will be on the other side of the creek hunting this flood plain which has area's of super thick cover where you can only see 50-75 yards with some openings with trails meandering through where you might get a shot opportunity at 125-175 yards.

Yes, the 30-30 would work well with a scope but I was beginning to think the .35 Remington might be a better choice for "me" based on my particular circumstances and hunting style. With the .35 Remingtons lower barrel PSI (34,000), increased projectile size, ability to shoot the new LeverRevolution ammo and availability in Marlins new 336 XLR SS Lever action rifle with a 24" barrel I was hoping this gun would be the ticket.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

For thu hunting you now describe, if it were me, I'd bring along my Marlin 1895 SS in 45/70. I have a peep sight on it now, and I wouldn't hesititate to shoot out to 100 yds. It goes "boom", not "crack". Puts a whallop on deer too. If you want deer to drop fast, shoot to break the offside shoulder, or use the high shoulder shot. Be sure to use a bullet that is sturdy enough. The Hornady 350 gr Leverevolution is just the ticket. The 35 Remington would probably work as well, as would a 444 Marlin.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Defender the 35 Remington is easily a 200 yard deer cartridge. Granted some of the anemic ammo that is out there wouldn't make it but the Hornady leverevolution ammo isn't one of them.

Sighted in 3 inches high at 100 yards will put you back to zero at about 180 yards and about 1.5-2 inches low at 200 yards and about 7-9 inches low at 250 yards. and still have about 1150 foot pounds of kinetic energy at 250 yards.

I really don't know where you guys are coming up with the 35 Remington not being a good 200 yard cartridge but the 30-30 is????????
The 35 remington is a totally adequate 200 yard gun, but as you can see from your numbers between 180 and 200 yards the bullet drops 2 inches in 20 yards. In my opinion the average hunter should stop here. The bullet has enough energy and accuracy to kill out to 300 yards in the hands of someone who practices these shots and uses a rangefinder in the field. The 30-30 is by no meens a long range cartridge, but in my opinion it shoots just flat enough for the average guy to reach out an extra 25 to 50 yards before he has to start worrying about compensating for bullet drop.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Spike

This year I plan on either using the 7mm08 Remington, 30-06, 270WSM, or my 30-30 Winchester.