Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Dry firing-- >

Dry firing--

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Dry firing--

Old 10-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

RR is 100 percent correct, Rimfires and Double barrel shotguns are the only ones that can sustain damage and should never be drifired
Old 10-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't recall where I heard this from but it's a dandy.

Instead of a snap cap. Take a piece of brass and fill the primer pocket with silicon. Same thing just cheaper.

Tom
Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Spike

You say not to dry fire a break action shotgun. Is they jsut a double, or all break action?? I have an old 16ga single shot I bought, and though I would ask about that.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TUK101
None. The military dry fires for practice and has done so for years. It is a great way to get over rifle flinch and if you are too worried about what damage might incur then you can always get a snap cap. I used to think the same way, but then did a lot of reading and a few friends who did time in the service let me know that they dry fire a lot.
The military's weapons do not use springs on the firing pin though. Most Civi rifles do for some reason. Back when I was in the Army I was told that dry firing my assigned weapon * A M-16A2* was not going to damage it. I spoke up, "drill Sargent, I have always been told that dry firing my rifles at home would damage the firing pin, why not this rifle?" They said the Army specified extra thick firing pins because they were going to be dry fired alot and that civi guns were not always "up to spec" so I take that to mean my civi rifles could be built with thinner weaker parts to include the firing pin.
To the OP: Once could do no damage to any rifle, if you decide to make a habit of it their are shells specifically designed for dry firing use that will protect the firearm. They are a hard plastic with a rubber primer area.
I had been told for years that using a spent cartrige was just the same and in so doing was saving money * a big thing around home* but it is not true. Only the dummy cartridges can do this.

Thanks for reading,
Ole Switchback XT runnin his mouth again!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

To all who have jumped in Thanks a bunch.... I always knew and heard that the dry firing practice on bolt action rifles was fine, and in fact advised for practice, and also knew about the rimfire and break action shotgun warning, but was in the dark about all the other firearms out there and the dry firing safety or damage that could be wrought.

Good stuff here, and if anybody else has info, specifically if you have model and maker info regarding any damage or manufacturers advice that dry firing is fine, jump in.

And, gunsmiths in the crowd (other than those who have already voiced) please lend us your expertise.

BTW, since a Ruger #1 is a break action is there any issue with dry firing it?
Old 10-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
8mm,
#1's are ok to dry fire, the only things I have ever heard about is the rimfires peening the chamber edge if dry fired, and the O/U's, and S/S's. if you've ever looked at the firing mechanisms, you'll see that the firing pins in those go through a round hole at an angle, If dry fired the pin protrudes farther than it does when loaded so the pins are at a high risk to bend or break.
RR
Thanks much for the specific reply. Always wondered about the #1's since they are also a break action.

I've always fancied getting a Ruger #1, but always know I could only afford 1, and could never decide on the caliber. Since they don't have a 9.3 X 62 I would lean toward a 7 X 57. I have one bolt rifle in 7 x 57 and really love the cartridge's performance with so litle recoil and fuss.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Ruger #1 is a falling block, not a break action. A hammer swings up through the center of the falling block and strikes a transfer lever than pushes the spring loaded firing pin straight forward though the face of the block and into the primer.

Mike
Old 10-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the clarification. So all falling blocks are then safe to "drop the hammer"? Good to know.