Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Dry firing-- >

Dry firing--

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Dry firing--

Old 10-04-2009, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Iv'e noticed, after a bolt action has been set up this way, holding the trigger while closing the bolt, the bolt is extremely hard to lift to re****. So much so that it seems like it's maybe not a good idea. Lifting the bolt handle to **** it normally doesn't take near this much effort. If it is ok to dry fire at all, I would think that would be the way to release the tension on the firing pin spring for long or short term storage. .................. John
Old 10-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

Great thread!

Originally Posted by elgallo114
Every respectable firearms instructor/armorer will tell you to do it for practice. Who ya gonna believe?
That has definately been the case that I have noticed!
Old 10-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the manual of my old Springfield XD 45 it said to dry fire till you get the feel of the pistol.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

I may just be the type that worries about this sort of thing, but I really believe that if the tension on the firing pin spring can be relieved, that would be the best way to put them up for awhile. I follow that same pricipal with a clip fed pistol, I load maybe 9 or 10 rounds in a 15 round clip, [ the at home gun ], and every few months charge up one of the other clips. That's the beauty of a revolver, it's "at rest" until your ready to shoot it. Bottom line is, if it's ok to dry fire occasionally, then we can put these centerfires away without them being c0cked. Makes sense to me.....................John
Old 10-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jhilde
I may just be the type that worries about this sort of thing, but I really believe that if the tension on the firing pin spring can be relieved, that would be the best way to put them up for awhile. I follow that same pricipal with a clip fed pistol, I load maybe 9 or 10 rounds in a 15 round clip, [ the at home gun ], and every few months charge up one of the other clips. That's the beauty of a revolver, it's "at rest" until your ready to shoot it. Bottom line is, if it's ok to dry fire occasionally, then we can put these centerfires away without them being c0cked. Makes sense to me.....................John

Slightly off the topic, but in regards to you're magazine fed autos, it's not the constant tension that wears out a spring. It's repeated loading and unloading that will wear it down. The magazines for my duty weapon has been loaded almost constantly for years. Same spring, no issues.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

If dry firing did hurt them my 270 would have died years ago. I have dry fired that thing literally thousands of times. It got me thru a helluva flinch! I do all my 700's the same way. Gives you an even better feel for the trigger and will definitely cure a flinch if done right.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regarding dry firing... I know of one semi-custom maker that highly encourages dry firing his 1911's.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elgallo114
Slightly off the topic, but in regards to you're magazine fed autos, it's not the constant tension that wears out a spring. It's repeated loading and unloading that will wear it down. The magazines for my duty weapon has been loaded almost constantly for years. Same spring, no issues.

I have been told this several times as well and my duty magazines stay loaded too.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:20 AM
Fork Horn

Amazing, I love this forum! You members have been a weath of information and can't tell you how much I appreciate it. The never dry fire has been a mis-conception Iv'e held for years and now I can forget it. Iv'e pretty well mastered flinching with the 06 and now, with the help of a decent recoil pad, I'll be getting used to the 45-70. This #1 is a real easy rifle to handle, almost feels like a carbine, and with a scope set at 100 yards, should be a real handy and fun pig gun. ............. John
Old 10-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

With just a few exceptions due to the design of the lock (double shotguns) or interference problems with rimfires (some modern rimfires are designed so the firing pin will not strike the breechface, eliminating the peening/broken firing pin problems associated with dryfiring rimfires), dryfiring will cause no harm to a weapon. If it did, not a single service rifle in the Marine Corps inventory would function, because dryfiring (and LOTS of it) is a standard practice during "snap-in" week for rifle qual. We also extensively dryfired the M9 (Beretta 92F) handguns during pistol qual, too. I dry fire all my rifles and pistols for practice learning trigger control. I also never store a firearm with the weapon c0cked, for no other reason then personal preference.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.