Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Where did the term Magnum come from? >

Where did the term Magnum come from?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Where did the term Magnum come from?

Old 05-22-2003, 12:42 AM

Default Where did the term Magnum come from?

I was watching a program on T.V. about magnum rifles and pistols and they discussed a theory about where the name Magnum came from. I was wondering if any one on the board has any other ideas.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where did the term Magnum come from?

Magnum is Latin for large or great. The term magnum was often used to designate large bottles of wine or spirits long before firearms came into being. Since magnum cartridges are usually larger or greater than normal cartridges the term was used for them. I don' t think there is any true industry standard as to what constitutes a magnum.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:58 PM

Ok frizzellr you pretty much covered it . On T.V. they said that term might of came from a large bottle of wine or spirits. Well I learned something new yesterday.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the firearms industry the term " Magnum" means absolutely nothing.....let me give you a few examples.: the 17 HMR, the 22WRF The .222 Rem Mag, the .224 Wby Mag, The .32 H&R mag, the .410 3" mag, The .256 Win Mag,

I think it' s a marketing thing more than a descriptive thing.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fer what it' s worth, I agree with vapodog, the term is mostly used today by marketers just to make sales, basically it' s a fast for caliber round (in average loadings, not heavy loads), nowadays, that' s assuming something like 3000+fps for rifles, and 1200-1400+fps in pistol cart' s...but it' s mostly a marketing thing.

again, the " magnum" is an old winery term...nuff said on that though...why do they call them the V-8magnums? it' s big, and the name sells.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:55 AM

So much for my theory on Magnum PI.

Maine Hunter
Old 05-23-2003, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wanted to get a 357.maximum barrel for my t/c (still looking) guess that sounds better then a 357.magnum,magnum.

Had a 10 mm ( they make 10 mags to right?) 10mm wouldequal & be like a 40.cal s&W mag?

A lot of old revolver cartriges are based on Bp & so the cases are big (38.44. etc) they could be magnums? compared to say 9mm cases.

they have those 357.sigs etc now too...i cant keep up, esp buying im lol
Old 05-23-2003, 12:22 PM

The term magnum became associated with firearms when Davey Wesson was inventing a cartridge and was wondering what to call it. After having a few tussels trying to name the cartridge he finally stated to a collegue, " I have always liked the magnum bottles of champagne the French have so let' s call it that." And thus was born the .357 " Magnum" which was the largest handgun caliber of its time way back in the 1800' s. The only reason I know this to be true and the only reason I would post it and possibly edure any blowback is because I caught it on the History Channel' s " Tales of the Gun" . Cool huh!
Old 05-23-2003, 02:21 PM
bigcountry

See who says TV is no good for people.

Old 05-23-2003, 08:19 PM

Thank you very much, I am just wasting time until October when I can get back to the woods and escape the loop of current events and knowledge for four months!

Quick Reply: Where did the term Magnum come from?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.