Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
243 Win and 7mm Rem Mag Poll (2) >

243 Win and 7mm Rem Mag Poll (2)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: A 243 Winchester will kill as quickly as a 7mm Rem Mag ...
On southern whitetails only (e.g. South Carolina).
7.32%
On anything up to the size of a northern whitetail (e.g. Canada).
19.51%
On anything up to the size of a mule deer.
34.15%
On anything up to the size of a elk.
7.32%
On anything up to the size of a moose.
14.63%
None of the above.
17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

243 Win and 7mm Rem Mag Poll (2)

Old 10-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by redgreen
I have shot whitetails with the 243, and it really didn't impress me much.Great for the gophers and yotes though. I don't have any hands on experience with the 7 mm, but have lots of friends that use, or have used them. Also have a bud that sold his 7 mm mag for a 25 06, which he uses for moose, elk and whatever else that he is after. He totally lost faith in the 7mm after a bullet failure on an elk. I turned him on to the 25 06, and he has never looked back. Given the right circumstances, a 22 rimfire will kill a deer or moose, but with better options available, wouldn't be the tool of choice.
What bullet did you use in the .243???
Old 10-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
Quartering away, with the right bullet, the .243 is capable of taking any of the game listed. On a quartering to shot, I would imagine that you'd be more likely to get deflection off the shoulder bones of the elk and moose, although I'm not speaking from experience on that... Personally, I'd carry the .243 for anything up to the size of a mule deer. For elk or moose, I'd use my 7mm Rem Mag, my .30-06, or my 7mm-08.

I kind of decided to avoid the "quartering toward" angle, because I thought might bring more questions about shot placement. But it would have been interesting to see how that might have affected some of the numbers.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

I have an friend who is born and raised in Wyoming and has been killing whitetails, muleys and elk all his hunting life with a .243. Fills his tags every year no problems.

I'm a 7mm.Rem Mag fan. Don't have a particular reason. Just love the gun. It groups better than anything else I own right now. Might step it down now as the wolves seem to have more elk in the timber and shots are closer. Still tend to shoot long range on mule deer.