Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
243 Win and 7mm Rem Mag Poll (2) >

243 Win and 7mm Rem Mag Poll (2)

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: A 243 Winchester will kill as quickly as a 7mm Rem Mag ...
On southern whitetails only (e.g. South Carolina).
7.32%
On anything up to the size of a northern whitetail (e.g. Canada).
19.51%
On anything up to the size of a mule deer.
34.15%
On anything up to the size of a elk.
7.32%
On anything up to the size of a moose.
14.63%
None of the above.
17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

243 Win and 7mm Rem Mag Poll (2)

Old 09-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default 243 Win and 7mm Rem Mag Poll (2)

Hello all. After several attempts, I think I have this figured out.

I am interested in asking a question about the use of a 243 Winchester on big game, but I think I can take some of the emotion out of it by doing a poll. I actually don’t know how this will come out, so I look forward to seeing the results.

As I thought about how to ask the question, I decided there would need to be some parameters around it to be fair to everyone involved.

So, which poll statement do you feel is the most correct, given the following conditions:

1)The most appropriate bullet is selected for the game involved
2)Shot distance = 100 yards
3)Angle of Shot = Quartering
4)Shot Placement = Heart/Lung Shot (no immobilization shots)
Old 09-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know they do the trick on muleys just fine. It can drop them pretty easy. Thats where I drew the line, I don't know about their performance on elk in a situation like that but I figured a 7 would do more damage and put them down faster anyways.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

So to answer this, you need hunters that have killed...
Southern Whitetail
Northern Whitetail
Mule Deer
Elk
Moose

With both a .243 and a 7mm Mag...
Old 09-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

nchawkeye - YEs, that would be ideal ... experience with both calibers on all species. But I don't think that will be possible. For example, if someone had a bad or marginal experience with a 243 on an elk sized animal, I would hope they did not move up and try a moose.

So, I am more interested in what experiences people have had with these calibers. There is a bunch of hunting experience on this site and even if someone has not pulled the trigger themselves, I am sure they have collectively seen a ton of animals that were taken with these calibers.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

As I've said before, you'll see more difference using different bullets within a caliber than between two calibers on deer sized game...

I once saw a deer hit with a .270 in the lungs followed quickly by a .243 through the lungs...The deer still sprinted 60-70 yards before she dropped...

It ain't the size hole it's where you put it...

I've seen and cleaned more than 2,000 deer killed with just about every caliber commonly used from 22-250 through .300 Mag...Plus shotgun slugs, roundballs, maxiballs, arrows, etc...

More deer are lost by poor shot placement and poor tracking than everything else combined...

If I was hungry and had to kill an elk and a .243 was all I had, I'd kill the elk with the .243...More than likely with a lower neck shot or a bullet to the brain...
Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what I understand, and maybe I am wrong but a moose is supposed to be easier to kill than an Elk.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:28 AM
Fork Horn

In KY, a caliber restriction exists on elk and bear hunting...rifle hunters must use a minimum of a .270 Winchester...(.243s are not allowed)

A deer (whitetail or mule deer) is not really hard to kill (not necessarily DRT)...and a .243 bullet through the lungs will kill as well as any other caliber...

The advantage of a 7mm (.284) bullet is in its sectional density, which tends to be "heavy" for caliber...and thus generally gives better penetration for shoulder shots or hard angle shots...

Elk/Moose are bigger and tougher, and while a .243 bullet through the lungs will equal a dead elk/moose, the problem is getting the bullet through all of the muscle and/or bone to the lungs...
Old 10-01-2009, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
So to answer this, you need hunters that have killed...
Southern Whitetail
Northern Whitetail
Mule Deer
Elk
Moose

With both a .243 and a 7mm Mag...
I'll be the 1st to admit that I'm not qualified to answer this poll.

However I would lean towards the 7mm Rem Mag for all the animals listed because I would prefer have a little too much rather than too little.

Pick you're rifle on what we will hunt the most. If it's SC whitetails, go with the 243 if you like it. You can always buy the 7mm Mag later.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Sling

So, which poll statement do you feel is the most correct, given the following conditions:

1)The most appropriate bullet is selected for the game involved
2)Shot distance = 100 yards
3)Angle of Shot = Quartering
4)Shot Placement = Heart/Lung Shot (no immobilization shots)

Quartering towards the shooter, or away?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I have killed Deer with .243, killed Elk with .270 and Moose with 6.5mm Swede............Depends on the shot and the shooter!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.