HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   30-30 trajectory (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/305122-30-30-trajectory.html)

jessejmc1979 09-28-2009 05:41 AM

30-30 trajectory

I have a buddy that just bought a marlin 336 and we sighted it in yesterday 3" high at 50 yards with remington 150 grain corelokts (factory). I got to thinking after we finished shooting: is this going to be close at 100 yards or will it be way high? I know my 270 when sighted in right on at 50 will be high at 100 but how does the trajectory compare with the 30-30. He is planning on shooting at 100 yards probably this weekend but I was just wondering if anybody knew what the trajectory of the "brush buster" was. Any info is appreciated thanks.

RugerM77.270 09-28-2009 06:06 AM

I ran the cariables through a ballistics calculator and that will put him 5.5 inches high at 100 yards and zeroed at 250. He needs to go back to the range and rezero and then shoot it at 100 to be sure but dead on at 50 should be dead on at 100 with a 30-30.

Centaur 1 09-28-2009 06:35 AM

Here's a link to a ballistic calculator.
The b.c. fpr that bullet is .193
Velocity 2390
3" high at 50 yards = sighted in at 210 yards
The gun will be almost 5" high at 100 yards

http://www.handloads.com/calc/

Your buddy needs to try some Hornady Leverevolution ammo. The name brush buster is a misconception, it doesn't exist. All cartridges will be deflected by brush. The Hornady ammo has a pointed bullet but the tip is a type of rubber that won't detonate the cartridge in front of it. The remington bullet that you tried is a 150 grain round nose bullet at 2390 fps. The Hornady round is a 160 grain pointed boattail bullet at 2400 fps. It shoots with a flatter trajectory and retains more energy at longer distances. I talked to the Hornady rep at the shot show and this bullet will expand reliably at 300 yards. The rubber tip enhances expansion when it "Squishes" flat it "squishes" outward.

jessejmc1979 09-28-2009 08:44 AM

Thanks fellas. I will let him know I appreciate all of the info. I am planning on shooting the leverevolutions in my savage/stevens bolt action 30/30 and I will try to get him to do so also. Thanks again. Another quick question is I am starting to reload, and would like to use like a speer type bullet for by rifle (the savage bolt) but have heard that at the velocities that a 30/30 gets I wouldn't get optimum expansion. Is this true or am I better off just reloading with the leverevolutions. I know the levers don't have a choice but with the clip is this feasible.

Centaur 1 09-28-2009 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by jessejmc1979 (Post 3456516)
Thanks fellas. I will let him know I appreciate all of the info. I am planning on shooting the leverevolutions in my savage/stevens bolt action 30/30 and I will try to get him to do so also. Thanks again. Another quick question is I am starting to reload, and would like to use like a speer type bullet for by rifle (the savage bolt) but have heard that at the velocities that a 30/30 gets I wouldn't get optimum expansion. Is this true or am I better off just reloading with the leverevolutions. I know the levers don't have a choice but with the clip is this feasible.

That's a problem when loading for the 30-30, for a bullet to guarantee expansion at 30-30 velocity it would just explode at 300 mag velocity. Maybe a ballistic tip bullet would work good, people complain about them expanding too quickly. Post the question in the reloading forum, there are quite a few people on here who have a lot of knowledge.

Also check out this website.
http://www.handloads.com/

Swampdog 09-29-2009 02:45 AM

I have a Savage 340 in 30-30.when I started loading for it I was using 150 gr. Ballistic tips.It is not the easiest round to load ,the neck is let's say tender and some will colapse.The main issue I had was O.A.L. the longer bullet makes it hard to get them to feed good in the mag.I would basicly use it as a single shot ,But the results were awesome.

RugerM77.270 09-29-2009 06:16 AM

Most cup and core bullets will expand reliably down to 1800 feet per second so as long as you don't get and fancy premium bonded bullets you should be in good shape. I handload but the Hornady Leverevolution bullets are so good I don't even try to load for the 30-30. I also have a box of Winchester's new PowerMax Bonded Protected Hollow Points that I am going to try soon.

TUK101 09-29-2009 09:27 AM

I was loading my Savage 340 30-30 with Winchester powerpoints and Remington Core Lokts and all of those bullets out to 100 yards where expanding just as they should. I retrieved a ton of them and all where mushroomed up just like you would expect. The Sierra Gamekings where doing what they should do too.

Maziro3449 10-01-2009 02:51 PM

Great

bump then lurk as soon as possible  Let us take a moment of the time just to pay tribute and show appreciation to the person called mom though some may not say it openly to their mother. There's no substitute for her. Cherish every single moment. Though at times she may not be the best of friends, may not agree to our thoughts, she is still your mother!!! She will be there for you...to listen to your woes, your braggings, your frustrations, etc. Ask yourself...have you put aside enough time for her, to listen to her “blues” of working in the kitchen, her tiredness? Be tactful, loving and still show her due respect though you may have a different view from hers. Once gone, only fond memories of the past and also regrets will be left.  Don't take for granted the things closest to your heart. Love her more than you love yourself. Life is meaningless without her ...Thsale is a professional, loyal and reliable wow gold supplier online, we pioneered selling cheap wow gold. Welcome to thsale buy world of warcraft gold Buy Cheap WoW Gold, World of Warcraft Gold, Please look here! We are a Great MMORPG company. wow money and wow items,which is very cheap WOW Gold!All US Server 24.99$/1000G on sell! Cheap wow gold,rs powerleveling,wow power leveling,Buy Cheapest/Safe/Fast WoW US EU Gold Power leveling Thsale is a professional, loyal and reliable wow gold supplier online, we pioneered selling cheap wow gold. Welcome to thsale buy world of warcraft gold Buy Cheap WoW Gold, World of Warcraft Gold, Please look here! We are a Great MMORPG company. wow money and wow items,which is very cheap World of Warcraft gold !All US Server 24.99$/1000G on sell! us wow gold Cheap wow gold,rs powerleveling,wow power leveling,Buy Cheapest/Safe/Fast WoW US EU Gold Power leveling

TUK101 10-01-2009 03:19 PM

what the heck is that last post supposed to be? SPAM