Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What to get, first time gun buyer. >

What to get, first time gun buyer.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What to get, first time gun buyer.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Spike

Default What to get, first time gun buyer.

Hey all, I am currently in the market for a 300 win mag. and was looking for some suggestions for models and would like to stay under 800 for the gun. I have looked at the tikka t3, t/c venture and icon, and weatherby vanguard. They all seem like nice guns. Like the lightness of the t3 but like the build quality on the t/c's. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Or pros and cons of the ones i listed. Thanks

Also would like to go synthetic...

Last edited by wibigbuck; 09-25-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

First of all, welcome aboard.

I personally am a big fan of savages and the weatherby vanguards. Both usually have great out of the box accuracy. Have you shot a 300 win mag before? What game will you hunt? How much will you practice? How long of shots will you take?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Spike

Yeah, i shot a savage 300 win mag. my brother has. I will be deer hunting with it and plan on making trips out west in the next few years elk hunting. I would probly shoot it 1-2 a month, and would like to be able to shoot 500 yards with good accuracy if i have the chance. Plan on getting a nice scope $400-500 range so would like to stay around 800 and under with the gun.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Good answers. Sometimes people start out wanting a Magnum just because it sounds cool, and don't have a clue about the recoil or ammo costs. I hate recoil and prefer a .270, .308, 30-06, or 35 whelen in a fairly heavy gun. Of the choices you listed, I would probably choose the T3 or vanguard. You might also check out the Howa's. It is the same action as the vanguards. I would probably choose a synthetic stainless set-up with a scope such as Ziess conquest, bushnell 4200, Leupold vx-L or 3 or a Burris in 4-14x42 or 44mm. You might at least take a look at the savage weather warrior.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

It looks as if the T3, Vanguard, or weather warrior can all be bought for less than $600, so I would find which one shoulders best and has the best fit and finish. You might also check the bolt throw and trigger pull.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

bigbuck,

First I would switch the budget you have for the gun (To: $500) and the scope (To: $800), especialy if you want to shoot long distance.

You'll need good glass to shoot 500 yards...........................
Old 09-26-2009, 02:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

X2 what Sheridan said.Might check gunsamerica or gunbroker if you don't mind a used piece.You can get some really nice stuff for good prices.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Spike

Ok, so i was thinking that too, spend more on the optics as all the guns should be pretty close in accuracy. I think i have narrowed it down to either the tikka t3 or the T/C Venture. What kinda scope would you guys recommend for 500 yards or more, to use on this gun. $500-$800 range on the scope. I have heard alot of good things about the ziess and was kinda leaning that way but what power for that range.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

A light weight in 300WSM (or 300WM) will have a healthy amount of recoil. Any of the ones you mentioned will suffice. Just pick what feels best to you. Personally, I'd also be looking at Ruger's. They are tough, dependable and fairly priced. Scope-wise the Vortex Viper, Sightron Big Sky and Zeiss Conquest are great choices.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Listen to Ridge Runner. 500 yards is a little ways out and requires good equipment and practice to make ethical shots on animals. Do you have a place to practice shooting at 500 yards? If so, you're way ahead of most of us.

I would recommend that if you want to shoot long range, you invest in a good rifle, a very good scope, a laser rangefinder, and last, but not least, a handloading setup.
Handloading will let you squeeze the best accuracy out of your rifle with bullets suitable for long range shooting. I've never had a rifle that I couldn't get to 1 MOA with handloading, but only one that consistently shot <1MOA with factory loads, and it was a target/varmint weight rifle.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.