Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
H&R's Ultra Slug Guns >

H&R's Ultra Slug Guns

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R's Ultra Slug Guns

Old 09-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

both 12 and 20 a bull barrels on USH...and thats waht you want...NEVER NEVER have to even think about barrel heat during sighting in..just too thick for it to effect....20g is 12g barrel bored out for 20g and 12 gauge is a 10g barrel bored out to a 12g...dont dick around with non USH....20g USH--dats da ticket!
Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Spike

Thanks DJ Farmer.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Spike

All right guys. Uncle Matt pointed out that he likes the longer forearm and gave us pictures to illustrate. Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like the longer forearm is only available in the Traditional American Walnut Stock. I thought a laminate stock would be nice but after looking at H&R's website it appears that the laminate stock is only available with the shorter forearm (Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe and Ultra Slug Hunter Thumbhole Stock). Is this correct or can you get the longer forearm in laminate? What do most of you guys have, the longer forearm with traditional American Walnut Stock or the laminate stock with shorter forearm? I thought laminate would weather better vs the other, just surprised I didn't see the longer forearm available in a laminated stock. If you guys had the extra $ would you buy the thumbhole stock? I've never owned a gun with a thumbhole stock, thought it might be nice. Any negatives to having a thumbhole stock?

Thanks guys for making this decision easier.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the laminated stock in 20ga, and I can't be happier...either way you go, you will make the correct move
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Spike

What ammo are you all getting the best results with? I shot the 3" Federal Vital Shock and couldn't get them to group at all. I've gotten very good results with Winchester Supreme Partition Gold in 2 3/4". Although, I'd like to shoot the a quality 3" shell from my USH. Any suggestions?
Old 10-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

why would you want to use 3" shells? The only thing you get is more recoil, stick with the 2-3/4", I have to the 20ga, and it loves the HORNADY SSTs
Old 10-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Absolute Giant
All right guys. Uncle Matt pointed out that he likes the longer forearm and gave us pictures to illustrate. Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like the longer forearm is only available in the Traditional American Walnut Stock. I thought a laminate stock would be nice but after looking at H&R's website it appears that the laminate stock is only available with the shorter forearm (Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe and Ultra Slug Hunter Thumbhole Stock). Is this correct or can you get the longer forearm in laminate? What do most of you guys have, the longer forearm with traditional American Walnut Stock or the laminate stock with shorter forearm? I thought laminate would weather better vs the other, just surprised I didn't see the longer forearm available in a laminated stock. If you guys had the extra $ would you buy the thumbhole stock? I've never owned a gun with a thumbhole stock, thought it might be nice. Any negatives to having a thumbhole stock?

Thanks guys for making this decision easier.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but with the laminated camo you will get the longer front stock and both stocks will be checkered.

I have found that regardless of laminated camo or hardwood, H&R puts a very durable finish on them both.

Myself, I was intrested in a thumbholer but once I shouldered one it just wasn't for me. It didn't feel right. I like hunting shotguns to have a grip which is more horizontal than vertical. I can go with a more vertical grip for tactical shotguns.

Here's my latest H&R 12.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
why would you want to use 3" shells? The only thing you get is more recoil, stick with the 2-3/4", I have to the 20ga, and it loves the HORNADY SSTs
"only thing you get is more recoil", huh?

Very intresting deduction.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by uncle matt
"only thing you get is more recoil", huh?

Very intresting deduction.
Bowhuntercop - Appreciate your comment. I'll stick w/ 2 3/4". Will try the SST. It's all about bullet placement! I've read comments about the plastic tips bullets NOT expanding, poor blood trails and lost deer. One comments recommends shoulder and neck shots, because his gun is very accurate w/ the Hornady SST. Comments ...
Old 10-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Site Bouncer

I also have the H&R USHD in 12ga and it will without a doubt give you rifle accuracy. Mine absolutely loves Winchester Platinum Tip Sabot slugs (400gr 1700fps) and I have it sighted in at 100yds. I know from practice and listed ballistics that when zeroed in at 100yds my slug will drop only 5in at 150yds. I have no doubt this set up will kill deer reliably at 200yds however I limit my shots to 150yds and under. My longest kill to date with it is 143yds.

I've been switching off between it and my Ruger SBH Hunter for the Illinois gun season and while I'll bring it this year it will most likely stay in the truck as I'll be using the revolver this year.

Buy this gun with confidence as it will not let you down.

I only experienced one negative with the USHD and that was with the ejector. There was a lot of internet speculation about what the deal was with some failing to eject and it was almost like the shell was stuck in the chamber.

Mine was the same way but it had nothing to do with the chamber but the ejector instead. It appeared that some slug guns left the factory with metal shavings left in the ejector slot and the ejectors themselves were not quite machined as good as they should have been. This caused the ejector to stick and the only way to remove the shell was to push it out with a rod from the muzzle.

A lot of folks sent them back to be repaired as they could not figure out what was wrong (thinking it was a tight chamber issue) I figured it out and took apart the ejector assy. (tapped out a pin) cleaned out all the metal shavings (from the machining process) from the ejector slot, then smoothed out the ejector on a sharpening stone. I then reassembled it and it's ejecting shells across the room!

I don't know if it was only a certain run of guns with this problem or if it still happens but with a little time (about 2hrs) and basic tools, I had it working fine.

While it was a little pain in the neck to diagnose and fix, it still doesn't detract from how great these slug guns are. I've spent more time upgrading and accessorizing some of my guns that it took to fix this one.

BTW, mine has the laminated stock with the long forearm.

Last edited by BigJ71; 10-06-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.