Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
H&R's Ultra Slug Guns >

H&R's Ultra Slug Guns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R's Ultra Slug Guns

Old 09-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Spike

Default H&R's Ultra Slug Guns

I was considering purchasing an H&R Ultra Slug gun. I wanted to know what you guys would recomend a 12 GA. or 20 GA? I was leaning toward a 20 GA. since it is lighter than the 12 GA. Any concern with knock down power on the 20 GA? I have only owned 12 GA. shotguns. I don't like the idea of paying $500 for a rifled barrel for my Benelli SBE II when I can buy a whole new gun cheaper. I would like to hear any positives/negatives on H&R's slug guns.

Thanks Guys.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have this shotgun in 20ga., it's topped off with a Leupold VX-II in 3-9X40, she is a tack driver with Hornady SST slugs. There is no question towards the 20ga for knocl down power. With todays high tech slugs the 20ga will put down the game.

Buy it, and good luck !!!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I won't deny it. I am a huge fan of the H&R USH. There are FIVE in my locker right now, although one is my nephews.

Additionally I am, I guess you could say, really anal about well placed shots. If I'm not 100% confident I can put a lethal shot on a deer - I ain;t taking it. Hence I have no issue with single shot slug guns.

That being said, any well placed shot with a 20 ga. will kill a deer. I prefer the 12 myself because the bottom line is - it delivers more energy and plain out hits harder.

All of our H&Rs are what I would consider tack drivers.

Yes the 20 ga. is lighter than the 12 ga. but if you pull the dead weight out of the stock you will lighten it up quite noticably.

Also there are several options as related to weight. A standard USH weighs like 8-9 lbs as delivered. There is an Ultra Light Slug Hunter weighing in at 5 + lbs.. And an USH Compact (20 ga. only) at 7 lbs..

One thing I strongly prefer is the longer front stock like this ..........

As opposed to the shorter front stock like this ..........

Reason being you don't want to find your hand wanting to be right where the sling swivel mount is. And one thing you definately don't want to do is butt your forward finger up against the swivel mount when you fire - believe me.

I'm a big guy with long arms/reach and I have totally removed my forward swivel mount. (I have my sling around the barrel and it can only be barely squeezed off when the gun is broken open.)
Old 09-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

I bought 20g USH for wife...she whined about its weight..but all in all...it is one hell of a tack driver..and she shoots Lightfields....great gun..cant go wrong with either 12/20....but uncle Matt got good point...she has lam stock...and its a bit short for my 6'5" frame/arms....go with longer stock
Old 09-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two words.......BEST SHOTGUN.. i have 3 20 gauge's with the Lam.stock and they are awsome..will never turn to another deer hunting shotgun again

-NICK
Old 09-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one and I had it shooting awesome groups at 100yrds. With the new slugs and a scope, I'm pretty confident that someone could shoot out to 175yrds. with these guns.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Spike

i just got an h&r ultra slug 20 gauge with the thumb hole stock. i put a 1x4 leupold scope and some lightfield slugs. 1.5 inch group at a 100yds. couldn't be more pleased with it.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

One of my hunting partners has a .20 gauge with a laminate stock and he loves it. I've got no doubts about hunting deer with a .20 gauge slug. My first deer hunting was in upstate NY in the southern zone when it was shotgun only. I hunted with my 870 express mag with a smooth bore slug barrel, 3" Breneke rifled slugs. I killed 3 doe with slugs, none of the three went more than about 30 yards before expiring.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Spike

I am also a big fan of the Ultra Slug Hunter, and have only good things to say about this gun! The recoil is MINIMAL compared to my Remington 12 gauge slug gun. I also recommend the 20 over the 12. The USH is a heavy gun, so it may not be for you if you do a lot of walking with it, but it's a great stand gun!
Old 09-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the positve feedback guys. Sounds like everyone is pleased with thier H&R's. While I am leaning toward the 20 guage I wanted to ask, do most of you shoot the heavy bull type barrell or are you shooting the Ultralight gun that weighs less? I figured that the heavier bull barrel would be more accurate but maybe not. I would also like to hear more on what loads you guys are using. I have heard that the Hornaday SST are a good load for that gun. Thanks Uncle Matt for posting the pictures. I think I would like the longer forend as well. Thanks for pointing that out. Could have been something I missed.

Thanks everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.