Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Opinions Please >

Opinions Please

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions Please

Old 09-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Either Stoeger.............would be my call.

I have the Condor O/U in 12 gauge, but I use my 20 gauge SXS (Marlin LC Smith) for smaller birds.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Either Stoeger.............would be my call.

I have the Condor O/U in 12 gauge, but I use my 20 gauge SXS (Marlin LC Smith) for smaller birds.
Thanks!
I'm kind of leaning towards the Condor myself. I was thinking of the Condor Field Combo 12/20 so I can get an adjustable choke 12 g. and a 20g. in one shot. But it of course is a bunch more money.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...ger_condor.php

Worth the extra $$$ in my opinion (it's really not that expensive).

Look on-line and then ship to local FFL dealer and pay the transfer fee.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/037084310411.html

Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Sheridan, Thanks for the links.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wlfdg
Thanks!
No it's not my main shotgun! I have a 12g. and it's a little rough on grouse and huns. It has a fixed MOD choke.
I guess I don't really understand how a 20 gauge shooting the same shot size with, say, 1 ounce of shot at similar velocities will tear up a grouse any more than a 12 gauge with a similar load. Unless you want a 20 gauge just because you can, I'd say the best thing to do would be to buy some 12 gauge shells with lighter 7/8 to 1 ounce payloads.

And consider yourself lucky to have a dog that works birds purely on instinct. It would seem to be a very rare gift even for dogs specifically bred as hunting dogs. My dog (a golden retriever/border collie mix) can't even figure out how to retrieve a tennis ball. Oh, he'll chase it as long as it's moving, but once he catches it he just sniffs it and looses interest. I doubt he's cut out for hunting.

Mike
Old 09-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

But if you just gotta get yourself a new shotgun... I like the Stoeger O/U's, as they seem really nice and are inexpensive for an O/U. Another I'd look at is the Mossberg Reserve O/U. I have a friend that has one and it is really just as nice as many of the O/U's that cost 2-3 times as much. They're more than the Stoeger O/U, but they are a lot nicer looking with scroll engraving and gold accents and such "typical" to an O/U upland gun.

Mike
Old 09-24-2009, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

"I guess I don't really understand how a 20 gauge shooting the same shot size with, say, 1 ounce of shot at similar velocities will tear up a grouse any more than a 12 gauge with a similar load. Unless you want a 20 gauge just because you can, I'd say the best thing to do would be to buy some 12 gauge shells with lighter 7/8 to 1 ounce payloads."

I've already done that. I believe it's the choke and not the shot size. The modified choke is too tight and turns the breasts to hamburger.

And consider yourself lucky to have a dog that works birds purely on instinct. It would seem to be a very rare gift even for dogs specifically bred as hunting dogs. My dog (a golden retriever/border collie mix) can't even figure out how to retrieve a tennis ball. Oh, he'll chase it as long as it's moving, but once he catches it he just sniffs it and looses interest. I doubt he's cut out for hunting.

Mike

I consider myself very lucky. Wilson is an incredible dog in so many ways. Not to brag, but, when I fostered him he was 16 months old, untrained and completely out of control. I had no desire to keep him but figured I would at least try to train him. He was COMPLETELY off leash trained in 4 days! Heel, recall, etc... everything! I kept him! Thanks much Mike I know I am really very fortunate. I am really glad he was saved from being euthanized.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by driftrider
But if you just gotta get yourself a new shotgun... I like the Stoeger O/U's, as they seem really nice and are inexpensive for an O/U. Another I'd look at is the Mossberg Reserve O/U. I have a friend that has one and it is really just as nice as many of the O/U's that cost 2-3 times as much. They're more than the Stoeger O/U, but they are a lot nicer looking with scroll engraving and gold accents and such "typical" to an O/U upland gun.

Mike
I could care less about vanity features. IMO- it makes as much sense as buying a pretty hammer.