Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which slug do you recommend???? >

Which slug do you recommend????

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which slug do you recommend????

Old 09-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Which slug do you recommend????

I have a 20 guage H&R Ultra slug Hunter. If accuracy were equal which slug would recommend. I have it narrowed down to the Remington 260gr. core lokt, Winchester Supreme Partiting Gold 260gr., and the Federal Barnes tipped expander. Which one have you guys had the best luck with. I will be hunting whitetails and wild hogs here in Florida. Thanks for your help and opinions.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Any of the slugs you mentioned will work fine.

The bigger question is not which slugs "we" like, but which ones does your gun like?

Some slug guns can be quite finicky and may throw flyers all over the place with one brand while another brand may show that gun to be a real tack driver.

Buy a couple of boxes of different slugs. Take em out to the range and fire away. Figure out whch brand shoots the best for you then go back to the store and buy a bunch more boxes.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:56 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

I've had good luck with hornaday SST
Old 09-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Spike

Knowing what your gun likes is the key. I have the same gun and shot 3-4 boxes of Hornadys out of it and they were all over the place. Luckily the next box (hastings) I bought my gun like them. It can get expensive figuring out which shell your gun likes. I have read several post saying the H&R 20 gauge can shoot accurate out to 100 yards but I can tell you from experience my H&R will not. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by RWK
I've had good luck with hornaday SST
switched to these 2 years ago-best slug i have ever shot. I now would not think twice shooting a deer at 150yds+ with my slug gun. My gf shoots them out of her H&R slug gun as well and that thing is like a tack driver with them. I HIGHLY reccomend them to anyone.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 98Redline
Any of the slugs you mentioned will work fine.

The bigger question is not which slugs "we" like, but which ones does your gun like?

Some slug guns can be quite finicky and may throw flyers all over the place with one brand while another brand may show that gun to be a real tack driver.

Buy a couple of boxes of different slugs. Take em out to the range and fire away. Figure out whch brand shoots the best for you then go back to the store and buy a bunch more boxes.
Bingo!

I'd also recommend staying with 2 3/4" slugs, if your gun will print them as accuately. They'll do everything the 3" shells will do at most all distances you'll be shooting. They're easier on you, and just as deadly on the critters.

FC
Old 09-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

The slugs you mentioned are excellent !!! Remember shotguns are iffy, so you need to try numerous brands. Out of my H&R 20ga., she loves the Hornady SSTs, deadly out to 150yards
Old 09-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

BOWHUNTERCOP, what kind of groups are you getting at 100 yards? I tried the SST last year but I wasn't real impressed. I may be expecting to much accuracy from a slug gun. I'm new to the whole slug gun thing. I shoot a lot if Muzzleloaders and Centerfire rifles. What kind of accuracy should I expect at 50 yards and how high should I be for a 100 yard zero?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Always sight your slug gun to be roughly 2.5" high at 50 yards, at 100yards I'm getting clover leafs. Once more shotguns are like women, you never know what will make them happy, so you need to try various slugs. Try any of the major saboted slugs out there, Hornady, Remingtom, Winchester, Federal, Lightfields, etc. the latter seems to always be excellent or at least decent out of most shotguns. Also stay with 2-3/4" shells, no need to go with 3"

A few years ago I brought myself a Remington 11-87 SPS at first I sighted in with Lightfields EXP 2-3/4" with great results, few years latter I was hunting Illinois and wanted a lighter slug I can reach out further, I got decent results from all the majot brands and settled with Winchester's Partion Golds, well yesterday I went back to the Lightfields, and with very little adjustments I was back to my great groups
Old 09-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Spike

Bowhuntercop, I am shooting 2 3/4 Hastings and I wish I could shoot 100 yards. I am 2-3 inches high at 50 yards and consistently touch holes. When I shoot 100 yards my round drops 5 inches. I read great things about the Hornadys but my gun doesnt like them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.