Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
are shot gun slugs accurite >

are shot gun slugs accurite

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

are shot gun slugs accurite

Old 09-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Spike

Default are shot gun slugs accurite

I'm trying to decide from ether buying a rifled slug barrel for my shot gun or buy a 30-06 riffle. The slug barrel is cheaper but I want to do it right.

I have herd that slugs are not accurate from a couple people.

my cousin has a mossberg shotgun and he bought a mossberg scope and rifled barrel combo and he had a very hard time sighing it in at 60 yards it was just all over the place and he almost missed his deer last year.

If did buy a barrel I would use my Remington 870 I guess I would buy a mossburg barrel its made for the 870 but its cheaper them the Remington one. and buy a decent scope. unless you guys think that the scope that comes with the Remington scope barrel combo is any good
Old 09-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

I used to use a shotgun for deer hunting when I lived in Upstate/Western New York. Remington 870 with a Hastings Rifled Barrel. I used 3" Mag BRI .50 Saboted Slugs. Tac driver @ 50yds. No scope. Our whole hunting party (8) pretty much had the same rig and we all loved them. The only reason I would hunt big game with a shotgun would be because rifles arent allowed. Ever thought about a Muzzle Loader? I have a T/C Omega (no scope, just a peep) and out to 150yds, I am very confident. With a scope, you may be able to get out there even more. You only get one shot but thats all you should need. Just a thought.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Powerfisher
I used to use a shotgun for deer hunting when I lived in Upstate/Western New York. Remington 870 with a Hastings Rifled Barrel. I used 3" Mag BRI .50 Saboted Slugs. Tac driver @ 50yds. No scope. Our whole hunting party (8) pretty much had the same rig and we all loved them. The only reason I would hunt big game with a shotgun would be because rifles arent allowed. Ever thought about a Muzzle Loader? I have a T/C Omega (no scope, just a peep) and out to 150yds, I am very confident. With a scope, you may be able to get out there even more. You only get one shot but thats all you should need. Just a thought.
10-4!..........Same here!
Old 09-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Spike

ya riffals are only leagle in northern Minnesota witch is only 2 hours away. idk im kina on the fence if I get the slug barrel its probaly going to run me about $250-$300. if I get the 30-06 Its going to run me about $450-$500 with scope. cabela's had used Mossberg 100 atr 30-06 camo stock that was never fired for $309 (witch may be gone so I want to decide asap) that or a barrel witch will run me $175 then I got to buy a scope with ether one

and amo is cheaper for the 30-06

Last edited by thepopeis1; 09-12-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Fork Horn

If it is legal to hunt with a center fire rifle I would go with the 06. you can shoot at longer ranges, ammo is easy to find and it has far less recoil. I have seen people at the rifle range and the cannnot get there slug guns sighted in properly because of the recoil. I have a Sauer 30.06 and an A5 with a rifled barrel and the A5 has twice has much recoil has my Sauer.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:14 AM
Typical Buck

You should seriously look at a muzzleloader. I have all of the following and all are great out to 150 right out of box. 200 with a little work up on the load.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...815&id=0033480

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...815&id=0054218

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

Hope these helped
Old 09-13-2009, 03:21 AM
Typical Buck

Quick side note on the topic. The answer to your question is it depends on distance. Out to 75 yards I'd go with the 12 ga. Beyond that I'd go for the ML or 30-06. If you simply must have one now and you're going strictly for deer and possibly moose type game at short distances then I would look at a NEF Sluggers. Great guns at good price. Thinkin about buyin one myself. Here's the link

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp
Old 09-13-2009, 04:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do it right. Get the 30/'06!
Old 09-13-2009, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by thepopeis1
ya riffals are only leagle in northern Minnesota witch is only 2 hours away. idk im kina on the fence if I get the slug barrel its probaly going to run me about $250-$300. if I get the 30-06 Its going to run me about $450-$500 with scope. cabela's had used Mossberg 100 atr 30-06 camo stock that was never fired for $309 (witch may be gone so I want to decide asap) that or a barrel witch will run me $175 then I got to buy a scope with ether one

and amo is cheaper for the 30-06
You'll be able to take that '06 to lots more places, like out West! Should you ever get the itch to take bigger critters, that's the way to go. However, I have heard some not-so-wonderful things 'bout the Mossberg: like anything else, you'll do well to shop around. If you're dead-set on buying new, the Savages & Marlin XL7's seem to have largely positive feedback, and Weaver, Bushnell, and Pentax can put you into a serviceable scope for $100 to $125.

I've also found that 'tis not always a bad thing to consider used firearms - it seems there are plenty of looneys out there who buy a new rifle, work up a fabulously accurate load for it, then get bored with it & sell it to go try the same thing again with another.

A case in point (and on-topic for this discussion) is the 870 slug barrel I bought from my buddy for $150. I bought 5 brands o' slugs, & took them to the range. At 75 yards, most were printing at about 3". Actually, the fanciest, highest powered slugs were over 4", and they were awfully damned hard on my shoulder, too! Luckily, the cheapest 2 3/4" Winchester sabots were printing one on top of the other. So I found my load, & it's cheap. I'd be comfortable with them out to about 125 yards or so.

I had been looking at a Bushnell Banner 4x scope to put on it, but then I found a ridiculously good close-out price on a Pentax Lightseeker 2.5x, and it's awfully close to perfect sitting up on that slug barrel.

For me, the slug barrel was the only way to hunt whitetails in my state & the adjoining state. I had laid off the deer hunting for 20+ years, choosing instead to pursue big game out west. So there was no need for a slug barrel. If you think you'll be making the 2+ hour trip often, then get the '06. If you'll be spending your time 'round locally, go with the slug. Just budget some $ for a decent scope (and don't go crazy with the magnification!), then budget some time and $ to see which slugs your barrel likes best.

FC
Old 09-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

To answer your question, yes shotgun slugs can be accurate (well beyond 100 yards).

It is your spelling that needs to be dialed in. LOL.

Welcome newb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.