Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
So what is the deal with my barrel? Is it safe to shoot? >

So what is the deal with my barrel? Is it safe to shoot?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

So what is the deal with my barrel? Is it safe to shoot?

Old 09-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default So what is the deal with my barrel? Is it safe to shoot?

I purchased a Remington 1100 Magnum with a 30" barrel with a fixed full choke yesterday. It was in amazing shape on the outside. 3 small scratches on the wood and no scratches I've seen on the outside of the metal. The inside of the receiver looked perfect too. This gun really looked almost brand new despite being 31 years old according to Remington. When I looked down the bore I noticed it had a few pieces of dust or dirt or something but it was super shiny other than that. I figured from sitting in a gun safe and a gun sock before I got it maybe it was just dirt or dust as I've seen this stuff in my other guns when they have sat for a few weeks. I didn't think much of it.

Anyway, I shot it 8 times today to see how it did. It shot fine. I shot 2 loads of bird shot through it, 5 rounds of Winchester 00 buckshot, and 1 round of Remington 000 buckshot just to pattern it.

I came home today and cleaned it to notice that it seemed to be a piece of dirt or something in the barrel that wouldn't come out. I tried a few more patches thinking it was dirt but it wouldn't come out. So I stuck the cleaning rod down in the barrel to feel and you could feel it's like a nick in the inside of the barrel. The cleaning rod will catch on the nick there. It's right around where on the outside is the band part that slides over the gun when you put the barrel on. It's about in a spot like that on the inside. It's hard to tell how deep the nick is but it is a nick in there.

Is this thing safe to shoot or do I risk having a barrel failure? Should I worry about it or is it no big deal?

I had a friend look at it and he didn't know either but said he had never seen anything like that on a gun that nice so we don't know how in the world it got there. No other gun I've ever seen has had any nicks on the inside. He said he had seen them but they were rusty and worn out. Where as this thing is about perfect other than this.

What's the deal with this?
Old 09-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

My guess -- sounds like it's the gas port.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

best thing to do in my opinion is to take it to a good gunsmith to have it looked at...better be safe than sorry...most probably wouldnt even charge you to look at the barrel real quick...
Old 09-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's the gas port in the barrel. It vents gas into the piston that cycles the action.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, the barrel is ruined...I'll take it off your hands for $50...

Funny, my 1100 has a nick there as well...So does my Browning B-80...In fact, it's got a dang hole all the way through...
Old 09-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's the gas port. It had me worried. I found the gas port on the bottom and stuck a paper clip through it and it came out in the barrel.