HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Really ticked off (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/301823-really-ticked-off.html)

IndyHunter83 08-27-2009 09:54 AM

Really ticked off

So I went home monday for family reasons and stayed with my dad and his wife. Dad took tuesday morning off to show me some property where they're gonna put a new house. I figured I'd grab my old twenty gauge and 10/22 and dad and I would squirrel hunt while walking the property. With me working and him working these opportunities rarely present them selves. So I go to grab them from safe and my father tells me that my stepbrother and his friends had used them and that he still had them. No problem I figure he probably used it and they would be sitting in his room. I walk into his room and ask him where they are. He tells me he'll have to grab them from his truck and that they are looking pretty beat up. He wasn't kidding. He and his friends had taken the barrel off the 20 gauge and lost the plug, spring and cap and he "refinished" the stock on my 22. Looks like crap. I don't mean that figuretively. I mean the the stain that he put on there looks about the same color as a peice of crap. I'm pretty pissed. I was even more pissed when I went to gander mountain this morning and the guy there told me the parts, if he could find them, would be around 89 bucks and to refinish the 22 would be pretty expensive too.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find parts for a winchester youth ranger (1300) shotgun? Let me know.

If you have any ideas on how to clean up the stock on my old 22 I'd also be willing to listen. I am figuring I'll sand it down and try to stain it a nice dark brown but I don't know if it will work.

Any advice is appreciated.

DannyD 08-27-2009 10:15 AM

Why is your step brother not paying for it?

Pawildman 08-27-2009 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by DannyD (Post 3421824)
Why is your step brother not paying for it?

Why? Doesn't it sound a lot to you that the step brother is a spoiled, irresponsible a$$?? :rant::rant:I'd gather my stuff up and politely remove it all.
As for gun parts, try www.e-Gunparts.com.

rbduck 08-27-2009 11:42 AM

Can`t help you with the Winchester but if you want to do the 10/22 yourself and have any fixit skills, try these guys....www.rimfirecentral.com. Everything you need for the 10/22 and then some.

Ron:biggrin:

DannyD 08-27-2009 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pawildman (Post 3421857)
Why? Doesn't it sound a lot to you that the step brother is a spoiled, irresponsible a$$?? :rant::rant:I'd gather my stuff up and politely remove it all.
As for gun parts, try www.e-Gunparts.com.

No doubt. He should also be taught a lesson. Gather up the stuff as pawildman says get it taken care of then make sure he pays the bill

Doe Dumper 08-27-2009 12:48 PM

Thats what happens when people think they are entitled to something and have no work or sacrifice involved....

IndyHunter83 08-28-2009 02:02 AM

I told him he was going to have to reimburse me for what ever costs came up for it but he got his mother involved and since she and my dad are kinda helping me out on an engagement ring, I was told not to make a huge deal of it. There's a gun show here in indy this weekend. I'm gonna go and see if I can find any parts there. thanks for all the help guys. I'm still pretty much in shock because I've never had anyone do this to something of mine.

Centaur 1 08-28-2009 05:10 AM

Don't sand the finish from the 10/22, use a chemical stripper.Wear rubber gloves and brush it on with a cheap brush, don't use a foam brush. Wait about ten minutes and scrape it off with a razor blade. Do like half of one side at a time so that you have somewhere to hold on to while you scrape the finish. You don't have to get it perfect the first time, because when your done scraping your going to reapply the stripper. After the stripper has been on about five minutes scrub it off with coarse steel wool, and just set it out in the sun to dry completely. Now your ready to start sanding, I really like the sanding sponges made by 3M. They sell them at Walmart for about $3 each, buy 3 of them, one each of the 80, 180, and 320 grit. From what I hear the birch that Ruger uses doesn't take stain very well, that you need to use an alcohol based dye. You can make your own bye using denatured alcohol and powdered RIT dye. For the top coat I like the wiping varnishes like tung oil finish or danish oil. You rub these in with a clean rag and they soak into the wood. I sand between coats using 0000 steel wool and put on anywhere from 7 to 20 coats, the finish will get thicker and shinier with every coat. Believe it or not it's easier than it sounds and you'll actually have fun doing it, not to mention it'll look better than the factory finish.

okgobbler 08-28-2009 07:08 AM

used 10-22 stocks can often be found for $25-$40.

jeepdude1987 08-28-2009 07:44 AM

OK gobbler is right a used stock is cheap if you want to do it that way. Or just re-finish it.