Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Shot out .22 >

Shot out .22

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shot out .22

Old 08-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shot out .22

I have a shot out JC Higgins single shot bolt action .22 that I have been saving for my son. He just turned 10 and we took it to the range and holy cow. It shoots wayyyyy to the left. So bad that adjusting the rear sight all the way over wont even straighten it out. Scope it? Bend the barrel or deep six it and buy a new one. Its not drilled for scope mounts. I hate to get rid of it. My dad gave it to me and now hes gone. I guess it could be a wall hanger. What do yall think?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its generally accepted that a 22 rimfire cannot be 'shot out'. It can be in need of cleaning, it could have been improperly cleaned and the crown/bore messed up, it could be the sight is being adjusted in the wrong direction, rusting bore, etc.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would get some lead cleaning solvent and give the barrel a bath. I bet that the rifleings are plugged up and the bullets just aren't getting the proper twist. While your at it I would give the bolt a good flushing too with some action cleaner and then after it is blown out and dry put a couple of drops of gun oil in it. Or you could even dismantle the bolt and use some lithium grease on it.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd clean it up as suggested above, getting all the lead scrubbed out with a product just for that ... don't forget to let it soak as directed.

If the crown is messed up there are methods for you to clean up the crown at home yourself using a drill and a brass machine bolt with a round head and a standard screw driver cut. Using the brass components it's hard to injure your barrel, .. but that is always a possibility...A smith could probably clean it up for real cheap or you could have him cut a completely new crown ... considering the age of the rifle and it's relative value I'd just try everything else before I messed with the crown.

I'd also pop it out of the stock if you haven't already, and reassemble it with firm even pressure looking to see if the stock is impacting the barrel in any significant way.

Now please don't get offended here with my next point, as it is meant for those that may have forgotten, ... but there are a lot of folks that do forget the simple rule of adjusting rear sights in the same direction of where you wish the bullets to go... so if you're currently hitting low left and the rear sight is adjustable for both windage and elevation you'd want to move your REAR sight up and to the right to move your shots up and to the right. Please forgive me if this sounds silly, but even though you may be solid on this, lots of new shooters don't know and some experienced shooters forget.

Good luck in getting the old JC Higgins spitting where your looking.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

NO way would I spend money for a gunsmith on this gun when you could buy a Savage, Marlin or Ruger for relatively little money and they will probably shoot circles around this gun on its best day! If you don't want to get rid of it, just keep it as a momento, but give your boy a gun that will hit what he aims at. Nothing will make a kid hate shooting more than having a gun that he can't hit a thing with!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:23 AM
Typical Buck

I'd have it cleaned up and restored. I've got a 22 lr pump that my grandfather bought the day before pearl harbor was bombed and its still dropping squirrels. I still have my main 22 lr though because I really don't like putting more than 10 or 15 shots through this thing in one year. So my advice is clean it up and keep it but to also consider get the boy a nice little ruger or marlin or if looking for something smaller it think they still make those little single shot bolt action in a 22 lr. I've still got mine and I'll start my son on it. Hope that helped.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

We need more information. Did your rifle shoot a reasonably tight group, just way off the line of sight? If so, this just means you have to adjust your sights. If you can see the group is out of line with the barrel just by eyeballing it, maybe there could be some other problem. I think others have given you some good advice. Don't panic. Think your way through it. Consult a good gun smith in person if need be.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Spike

Definitely clean it up real good, and check the crown on the barrel as well as the rifling for damage. If you can't find the problem take it to a gunsmith and ask him to find out why it won't shoot straight, but ask him to consult you before making any repairs. That way you don't have $200 into a real old gun when you would be better off buying a new one. I bet whatever the problem it is probably something not too difficult to fix whether it is cleaning or a minor repair. I know I plan on re-blueing my dads old single shot Remmington .22 that I used to always enjoy shooting so it will be around for future generations.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wall hanger!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

SHoot the gun... If it is grouping ok than the barrel is not shot out (I'm not even sure if you can shoot out a .22 barrel). If the bullets are going everywhere than I would guess something is out of wack on your barrel.

Clean it real good first off. Pull the stock off and look and see if anything is putting pressure on the barrel. CHeck the crown and your bolt. Good luck and let us know!
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.