HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Crio-freezing rifle barrels (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/300823-crio-freezing-rifle-barrels.html)

Adirondack Hunter 08-17-2009 04:16 PM

Crio-freezing rifle barrels

WOW just got my rifle back today from crio-freezing treatment. before i was shooting 2in-5in groups depending on how hot my barrel was....a dime covers 4 rounds at 100yds after shooting for an hour. I guess they freeze it down to -300deg F and raise it up to 300deg F over the span of 40 hours or something like that. ill tell ya guys if youre looking to make your rifle amazingly accurate and dont mind spending 90 bucks and not havin your gun for 2 weeks(ish) id say do it for sure... i didnt believe it would make that much of a difference but actually gettin it done made me a believer...well worth the time and money by far.

driftrider 08-17-2009 04:43 PM

I remember reading on one of the top custom barrel makers website that they tested cryo-treated barrels and there is no difference between a properly stress relieved barrel using traditional methods, and cryo-treated barrels. Did you have any other work done on the rifle, like bedding, trigger job, free floating, etc...?

I just don't think that the cryo-treatment alone would take a rifle from 5" groups to 1/4" groups without other work... but I could be wrong.

Mike

WhitetailsInc.info 08-17-2009 04:58 PM

Drift,

There isn't a difference, but the vast majority of barrels are not stress relieved.

Adirondack,

If I understand your post, you are shooting your barrel way too hot to begin with. If this is the case the accuracy you gained will be short lived.

driftrider 08-17-2009 05:01 PM

Custom barrel makers do, for sure. Factory barrels? Probably not.

Mike

stubblejumper 08-17-2009 06:01 PM

Kreiger uses cryo treatment on their barrels,so at least one barrel maker believes that it serves a purpose.

Adirondack Hunter 08-17-2009 07:39 PM

idk guys, i did lighten the trigger pull but not by much, i really do think it made a difference, and hell even if it didnt and it jsut makes me think it did, then i guess it still worked huh?

vann338 08-17-2009 09:27 PM

(insert deep south voice here) grampa said if youra buyin it's A pond and if youra selling it's A lake! It is your money and if feels better it'll shoot better.

Michbowhunter 08-17-2009 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by stubblejumper (Post 3410848)
Kreiger uses cryo treatment on their barrels,so at least one barrel maker believes that it serves a purpose.

If I'm not mistaken, Benelli offers cryo on many of their barrels, and they claim it not only improves patterns, but keeps them cleaner longer.

skb2706 08-18-2009 05:51 AM

Hey thousands of people bought pet rocks...............

statjunk 08-18-2009 08:18 AM

Could it be that we are discussing different things? Is it possible that one side says it doesn't make it any more accurate and the other says that it is more accurate in repeated shooting?

My dad is a metallurgist and claims that heat treating a barrel should show an improvement. For whatever that's worth.

Tom