Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Crio-freezing rifle barrels >

Crio-freezing rifle barrels

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Crio-freezing rifle barrels

Old 08-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stubblejumper
Kreiger uses cryo treatment on their barrels,so at least one barrel maker believes that it serves a purpose.

.....Yep. I knew they did, and I agree 100% with you. My gunsmith recommends it, also.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

So I just stick it in the freezer for a couple weeks??
Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, if you are shooting tighter groups after dropping 90 bones on cryo freezing, then it worked. But I know from experience that shooting a gun till the barrel burns your hand is only gonna make your groups grow. Not to mention significantly shorten the life of your gun.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TUK101
Hey, if you are shooting tighter groups after dropping 90 bones on cryo freezing, then it worked. But I know from experience that shooting a gun till the barrel burns your hand is only gonna make your groups grow. Not to mention significantly shorten the life of your gun.
it doesnt quite get that hot but anyone whos ever shot a .22-250 knows that after about 5 rounds the barrels pretty toasty, and after 10 rounds it doesnt burn your hand but its not exactly comfortable. the crio freezing is supposed to prolong the life of a barrel which is another reason i had it done, because .22-250 barrels have one of the shortest life spans of any caliber.... now my friend who only bump fires his ar-15 and goes through 100rds in about 10 minutes....hes the one who should be worried about burnin his barrel out, i touched the barrel of that thing after 50rnds and it was like grabbin a metal stake thats been in a fire.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Adirondack Hunter
it doesnt quite get that hot but anyone whos ever shot a .22-250 knows that after about 5 rounds the barrels pretty toasty, and after 10 rounds it doesnt burn your hand but its not exactly comfortable. the crio freezing is supposed to prolong the life of a barrel which is another reason i had it done, because .22-250 barrels have one of the shortest life spans of any caliber.... now my friend who only bump fires his ar-15 and goes through 100rds in about 10 minutes....hes the one who should be worried about burnin his barrel out, i touched the barrel of that thing after 50rnds and it was like grabbin a metal stake thats been in a fire.
Unless his barrel is chrome lined, in which case it'll last 15-20000 rounds. FYI.

Mike
Old 08-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by driftrider
Unless his barrel is chrome lined, in which case it'll last 15-20000 rounds. FYI.

Mike

im gonna do that new thing otis has out the nano-ceramic once i can spend another 90 bucks on my gun, its supposed to be even better than chrome but i havent read up on it much so i couldnt really say it is or it isnt.