Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Crio-freezing rifle barrels >

Crio-freezing rifle barrels

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Crio-freezing rifle barrels

Old 08-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default Crio-freezing rifle barrels

WOW just got my rifle back today from crio-freezing treatment. before i was shooting 2in-5in groups depending on how hot my barrel was....a dime covers 4 rounds at 100yds after shooting for an hour. I guess they freeze it down to -300deg F and raise it up to 300deg F over the span of 40 hours or something like that. ill tell ya guys if youre looking to make your rifle amazingly accurate and dont mind spending 90 bucks and not havin your gun for 2 weeks(ish) id say do it for sure... i didnt believe it would make that much of a difference but actually gettin it done made me a believer...well worth the time and money by far.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember reading on one of the top custom barrel makers website that they tested cryo-treated barrels and there is no difference between a properly stress relieved barrel using traditional methods, and cryo-treated barrels. Did you have any other work done on the rifle, like bedding, trigger job, free floating, etc...?

I just don't think that the cryo-treatment alone would take a rifle from 5" groups to 1/4" groups without other work... but I could be wrong.

Mike
Old 08-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Drift,

There isn't a difference, but the vast majority of barrels are not stress relieved.

Adirondack,

If I understand your post, you are shooting your barrel way too hot to begin with. If this is the case the accuracy you gained will be short lived.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Custom barrel makers do, for sure. Factory barrels? Probably not.

Mike
Old 08-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kreiger uses cryo treatment on their barrels,so at least one barrel maker believes that it serves a purpose.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

idk guys, i did lighten the trigger pull but not by much, i really do think it made a difference, and hell even if it didnt and it jsut makes me think it did, then i guess it still worked huh?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Spike

(insert deep south voice here) grampa said if youra buyin it's A pond and if youra selling it's A lake! It is your money and if feels better it'll shoot better.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by stubblejumper
Kreiger uses cryo treatment on their barrels,so at least one barrel maker believes that it serves a purpose.
If I'm not mistaken, Benelli offers cryo on many of their barrels, and they claim it not only improves patterns, but keeps them cleaner longer.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey thousands of people bought pet rocks...............
Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could it be that we are discussing different things? Is it possible that one side says it doesn't make it any more accurate and the other says that it is more accurate in repeated shooting?

My dad is a metallurgist and claims that heat treating a barrel should show an improvement. For whatever that's worth.

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.