Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need advice for second rifle >

Need advice for second rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need advice for second rifle

Old 05-12-2003, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need advice for second rifle

I know I am not going to help the cause here b/c I can' t really tell you what I want a second rifle for, but I will give it a shot.

I have a .308 with a Swarovski 2.5-10x42 which I use for hunting our small and very few Florida bucks. I suspect I will eventually do some travelling for elk and large deer located in states other than Florida, but not sure what else i might use it for. Bottom line is, when i put the swarovski on my A bolt, i ended up with an extra scope, which is my Burris Sig 3-9x40. I know it is a great scope and hate to leave it sitting in the closet, so I thought i would look for a new gun.

On one hand, i would like a lighter recoil gun that could serve as a backup to my .308 and/or guest gun. However, the idea of getting a larger caliber gun that could offer expanded versatility whenever i reach the point of going after elk or other big game makes sense.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need advice for second rifle

If you' re talking about a back-up deer gun...and also an elk gun, I' d look for a 30-06. It' s a step-up from a 308 (not a huge step) but still won' t bowl you over with recoil.

You could also look at a 7mm mag...a 270WSM...a 300win mag...the list goes on and on and on...LOL
Old 05-12-2003, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need advice for second rifle

If this is your rifle then decide what you want and not what your guest might want to shoot. After all you are paying for it and not them.

I fall into the don' t group all of your guns into one caliber range. If you have a 308 then you might look at getting a medium bore like a 338 mag, 338-06, 350 Rem mag, etc... Spread it out a little. if you can get it now get it cause you might not be able to at a later date. You never know what might happen.