Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Raccoon and .22 >

Raccoon and .22

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Raccoon and .22

Old 08-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Raccoon and .22

A Raccoon was shot the other day with a .22 long. I "hear" the first shot went through the head just in front of the ear, the second went through the neck, the third went right behind the shoulder and the last one through the guts.

None of the bullets exited. I was really surprised.

Even after the third shot it was attempting to escape. It wasn't the usual thrashing of a spasming animal.

Are raccoons normally shot with a .22?

Thanks

Tom
Old 08-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Spike

I have shot over 300 coon while trapping and a simple 22 long right between the eyes and it's over. They are a very tough animal I used a 25 cal for a few and if shot between the eyes all you would do is knock them unconsious for a short time. I found with that caliber you had to go to the back of the head between the ears to take them out. 99% of trappers and coon hunters use a 22 and alot of times you do not get pass thru
Old 08-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-21-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by statjunk
A Raccoon was shot the other day with a .22 long. I "hear" the first shot went through the head just in front of the ear, the second went through the neck, the third went right behind the shoulder and the last one through the guts.

None of the bullets exited. I was really surprised.

Even after the third shot it was attempting to escape. It wasn't the usual thrashing of a spasming animal.

Are raccoons normally shot with a .22?

Thanks

Tom
use a 410 remington drop em every time
Old 08-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

1) Don't believe everything you hear, most folks either get the facts wrong or simply don't know what they are talking about...

2) I've also killed plenty of raccoons with a .22, both a rifle when hunting in my youth and a Ruger Mark II while trapping, no problem...

3) In the 50s and 60s, we butchered, cured and smoked 18 hogs a year, all were killed with a Hi-Standard 9 shot revolver in .22 caliber...We used shorts to make sure the bullet didn't pass through the brain and into the front shoulder...
Old 08-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

i cant count how many coons ive dropped and seen dropped outta trees by a 22lr...most times its regular ole ammo...but ive done it with shorts when i was in tight to the houses treed..only do that when the owner comes out and says "kill that coon he eats my garbage!" and theres no other neighbors around...happens enough that i carry shorts just for that purpose!

a solid head shot and hes comin out dead...the key is actually hitting them in the head...it took me a little practice, but i got it down now that most are 1 shot kills and come out dead as can be...

depends on the bullet path but i find bullets pretty often while skinning...their pelts are thick and i find many stuck in the pelt itself...

anything other than a headshot from a 22 is likely going to agitate the coon..if i cant get a head shot i'll put one in its body somewhere and when he swings his head around i drop em...

i dont recommend using a shotgun! coon pelts are sold inside out...a shotgun is going to do a pile of damage and most buyers arent going to buy it from you...if they do your taking a major price cut...

i run hounds and a scoped 22 is all ive ever used...
Old 08-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I "hear" means I might have been privy some how. But who knows.

Tom
Old 08-15-2009, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's likely that more raccoons have been felled by the mighty .22 LR than by any other caliber.

No doubt, they're ornery and on the tough (determined to live) side, but a solid head shot - as has been described above - is a guaranteed dead raccoon.

On the other hand, claims by the shooter as to where the shot was placed generally are not nearly as reliable.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot many, many coons with the .22. Coons are tough, and like someone else said, a poorly placed shot is going to just **** them off. Well, actually a solid body shot will kill them, but not right away. A proper head shot will kill them instantly - that's what I aim for.

If you miss the brain, it can take several shots to kill a tough coon. You need to use the right kind of ammo too - high or hyper-velocity hollowpoints. If the person you're talking about had actually hit the brain, the coon would have been DRT. My guess is they missed the vitals and therefore the coon didn't die right away.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Spike

my friend shoots them with a .223 i have shot them with a 22 mag between the eyes about 40 yds and thats all it took

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.