Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Air gun for rabbits >

Air gun for rabbits

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Air gun for rabbits

Old 08-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Air gun for rabbits

Hello all.

I have a bit of a rabbit problem where I live. Rabbits have turned my backyard into their personal caffeteria and toilet.

I've decided the most effective way to deal with the issue is to just shoot the critters with a pellet gun.

I live in a residential area so a true hunting air rifle would be too much.

I have a Crossman pump rifle that is useless beyond 7 yards or so. Earlier today I shot a rabbit at about 30 feet. The rabbit hopped away with a damaged back leg. Hours later I still feel like a POS about it. (I was using Gamo hunting pellets no less)

Anyway. Is there an airgun, maybe something adjustable, that has enough power to kill out to 30 some odd feet that does not sound like a 22 magnum?

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Robert ,I ran across the same problem.I bought my son a Benjamin Model 392 pellet rifle in .22 caliber.It is a pneumatic like the 760 but will shoot 685 FPS.It is a little loud ,but not to bad.Has enough power to stop something as big as a ground hog.It will drop a squirrel or rabbit like a hot rock.If you are able I would reccomend trying the .22 CB longs they are much quieter than the pellet and have substantial more power.I shoot them in an old Western Auto single shot and they are so quiet you can hear the firing pin strike.Hope this helps .......Alton
Old 08-13-2009, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

.....A second vote for the CB Longs. They're made by CCI and are very quiet. Not as much noise as a cap pistol....nowhere near as loud as a regular .22.... Should handle your situation very nicely.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a hunting pellet gun you could try something that a friend of mine uses. He cuts a hole in the bottom of a two liter soda bottle, then he slide the top of the bottle over the muzzle and tapes it in place. It's not a true silencer but it works well enough that the neighbors aren't alarmed.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for the .22 CB Long ammo from your favorite .22. They make far less noise than a pellet gun, they are far more accurate than any pellet gun that costs less than $500 (I always shot them from my 10/22... though they will NOT cycle a semi-auto. You have to work the bolt by hand.), and they hit as hard as the hardest hitting pellet rifles you can buy. As a young adult I'd shoot rabbits all the time in the garden at ranges out to about 35 yards, and would head shoot them most of the time. A pellet gun is fine if you can nail them right in the head, but body shots aren't always very effective. The CB's will penetrate with body shots and be immediately lethal.

As for relative noise, not only are they quieter than a pellet gun, the sound they make is not really very "gun like". More like a weak firecracker. So the neighbors, unless they see you with the rifle, won't probably even realize what they heard if they hear it at all. I used to shoot through a small hole in the screen out the bathroom window to avoid being seen shooting the rifle.

Mike
Old 08-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

Peanut butter mixed with fly bait. Tsc sells powder fly bait in a gold can it kills em before they leave the peanut butter. It will kill a coon within 12 ft of your trash can. Lol at least thats what i hear
Old 08-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by boilermaker85
Peanut butter mixed with fly bait. Tsc sells powder fly bait in a gold can it kills em before they leave the peanut butter. It will kill a coon within 12 ft of your trash can. Lol at least thats what i hear
How fast do you think it'd kill my dog? Or how about a curious kid that sticks their finger in it, realizes it's peanut butter, and licks it clean?

Poison is a bad idea in a populated area unless you plan to monitor it continuously while it's out. If you can watch a rabbit eat from a poisoned bait pile, then you can pop it with a CB Long.

Mike
Old 08-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

Keep ur dogs out of the tree?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by boilermaker85
Keep ur dogs out of the tree?
RobertSubnet
Air gun for rabbits
Hello all.

I have a bit of a rabbit problem where I live. Rabbits have turned my backyard into their personal caffeteria and toilet...

Thanks.
Rabbits climb trees where you live?

Mike
Old 08-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

Haha just messin with ya! He didnt say he had an orphanage full of kids nor a kennel full of dogs!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.