Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Short magnums >

Short magnums

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Short magnums

Old 05-13-2003, 01:33 AM

Default RE: Short magnums

I just ordered a 270 WSM in a A-Bolt Browning. I gave my 270 WIn also in a A-Bolt to my nephew. My WSM will weigh the same as before but will have a inch longer barrel. I really liked my 270 Win but after doing a lot of research I decided to give the WSM a try I do not handload so I will be a little limited in choices for ammo but hopfully that will change. I shot a 140 grain in my 270 Win and will use mostly a 130 in my WSM so recoil should not be much different. Most articles seem to state if you have one of the magnums now there is no real reason to sell it and buy a WSM but if you are in the market for a new rifle why not give the WSM a try. And I think in my case it will be well worth it. Oh by the way I did not give my rifle to my nephew so I could just buy a new one honest
Old 05-13-2003, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

If you get a WSM go one step farther and get a SVL recoil pad for it if the recoil is a problem.I have a Browning stalker and put a Sims pad on it and it sure made a difference.My shoulder really loves it.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:22 AM

I have a 300WSM and love it,its in a 6 3/4# Savage and its recoil is tolerable.The 300 and 270WSM appear to really be catching on and will be around for quite some time.More factory ammo will be appearing all the time.

woods
Old 05-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do agree with EKM, if you buy one because you just want a non-belted magnum, that' s one thing, in my eyes, the ONLY reason to buy one of the short mags, but remember there are other cheaper non-belted mags out there. I' m kind of torn between which I like more, non- or belted mags, the belts just look sexy on a case, but the fact that the head space in the chamber is irrelevant kind of worries me...who' s to say that the cartridge isn' t vibrating like mad when you fire, diminishing your aptitude towards accuracy?
Old 05-13-2003, 11:31 AM

I cannot speak for the 7mm or .300 WSM, but I can speak on the 270WSM. I couldn' t believe how light the recoil was on this gun. It is comparable to a 7mm-08. This is in a light weight synthetic. I bought one just to have it and fell in love with it. My gun of choice(hunting) is still my 7mm rem mag, but I can' t say enough about that little 270WSM. I have heard, however, that the recoil on the .300WSM was pretty stout.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:29 PM

I have the .270WSM and don' t think the recoil is all that bad, but I don' t think I' d liken it to a 7mm-08. The .270WSM is a Browning A-Bolt, nice and light (6 1/2 lbs before scope), which makes the kick seem a little bit bigger than the heavier Sako 30-06 (7 3/4 lbs before scope).

The purported advantage in reduced recoil is going to depend on the rifle. X grains less powder equals less felt recoil. Y ounces less weight on the rifle equals more felt recoil. Its a " rob Peter to pay Paul" kinda situation, as noted by Boltactionman.

From many accounts, the short magnums are supposed to have an edge in accuracy. The benefits of the short fat case, even powder burn, etc. Add in a couple hundred fps speed benefit. Why not look at them? Question might be, do you want to take a little more punishment at the range to save some weight when in the field?
Old 05-13-2003, 03:08 PM
bigcountry

I love the short magnums. I also love the older counterparts, Love the RuM. Love standard calibers too. Love them all. I think it was time some new offerings came out. But I have a dilemma. Got the RUM' s, got the older mags, got my 270win and 308win. And don' t have any more room in my safe. Think I should invest in a larger safe, so I can also add one of these Short mags too it.

Seriously, I would love to have one, but have all the calibers I need right now. If I had it to do over, I would have got the 300WSM instead of the 300RUM. It would have suited my needs more. But I have got so much time and money invested in RUM with brass, dies, and research, I can' t do it.

As far as recoil, shooting 150gr out of 300WSM, I find to pleasent to on the side, of, after shooting a box, (ouch, you can tell I shot a box of shells) compared to my 308win, which has no affect on me.