HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Which holster? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/300380-holster.html)

hubby11 08-12-2009 06:49 PM

Which holster?

Thinking about getting my CCW and carrying a revolver while hunting (particularly when muzzleloading). It's a large frame .357 with a 4" barrel (King Cobra).

What would be the most comfortable, belt or shoulder holster? Obviously don't want it to interfere with my rifle shooting. I am trying to lighten up my carry gear so I will likely not carry a backpack, just a fanny pack.

I'm thinking a left side holster (I'm right handed) would be the most out of the way while still being accessible, but would like some opinions.

Thanks.

RobertSubnet 08-12-2009 10:55 PM

I recently made this decision as well.

I needed something I could comfortably carry my Ruger Old Army for muzzleloading season. It had to be able to be worn on the outside with a coat and without. I had to be able to get to the pistol quickly and it had to be secure for hiking.

Eventually I deceded upon a cowboy style cartridge belt and holster. I thought about a cross-draw rig but that flopped around too much, the same with a drop down style belt. I thought about a shoulder holster but that looked like a pain to keep readjusting when donning/doffing a coat.

The one drawback, the pistol is on the same side as my rifle carrying shoulder - the right side. So banging the firearms into each other may be an issue when hiking.

Good luck with the CCW. I am going for mine in September.

bugsNbows 08-13-2009 03:27 AM

Shoulder holsters are fine for some folks...personally I don't much like them. As far as comfort and wear considerations, an OWB is probably best. There are some that can either be worn strong side (on right for right handers) or cross-draw (on left for right handed shooters). I'd go that route for flexibility reasons. There are tons of custom holster makers out there, but some get pricey and have long wait times. I'd check the Bianchi lines out or see what Midway (for example) has to offer. Good luck. :biggrin:

Ron Duval 08-13-2009 04:09 AM

old

removed by RD

hubby11 08-13-2009 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by bugsNbows (Post 3406865)
. As far as comfort and wear considerations, an OWB is probably best.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an OWB?

edit - I'm guessing it means outside waistband.

Steve

Ron Duval 08-13-2009 10:53 AM

old

removed by RD

RobertSubnet 08-13-2009 01:29 PM

I learned the hard way that when leather holsters get wet they tend to stay wet. I use synthetic holsters if there is a chance of a soaking.
Excellent point, I never thought of that. Of course with me being from Arizona...:)

warpig602 08-16-2009 09:48 AM

Belt I would imagine, if you could get it to work with your fanny pack.

DC KNIVES 08-18-2009 05:32 AM

On the issue of leather getting wet and staying wet, I need to throw my $.02 in.As a custom holster maker I have found over the years that if the holster is properly dyed and sealed on the inside, they resist water just like the synthetics.The majority of rigs I make are used by hunters and active range users.Dave

Ron Duval 08-18-2009 02:36 PM

removed by RD