Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossburg 835 Misfire Problem

Old 08-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Wub
Typical Buck

Default Mossburg 835 Misfire Problem

I have a Mossburg 835 with a misfire problem. It started last year when I was shooting clay pigeons. Out of about 120 shells it misfired twice. I Chalked it up to cheap ammo. Then I decided to take it deer hutting. It was the first time I used a gun for deer hutting in years. There was this hoss that I just couldn't get to come in close enough for my bow. Anyway, I got a rifled barrel and when I was sighting it in it misfired once. I was using pretty good sabot rounds (I think I was anyway; they weren't the cheapest at BP) I didn't really think of the two times it misfired when I was shooting clay pigeons so I just figured it was a fluke. When I got into the woods that hoss comes out just about 45 or 50 yards away and I misfire

Anyone ever have any problems with this? Any suggestions?
Old 08-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you happen to examine the round that was in the chamber when the misfire happened? Was the primer fully dented, or was the dent shallow or not dented at all? Was the strike off-center? Is the hammer falling when you get the FTF's?

I'd be inclined to say that since you're experiencing misfires with different ammo, it's not the ammo.

My first inclination would be that the problem lies with the firing pin. It could be a simple as the firing pin channel is dirty and gummed up with solidified oil and grime. This could cause enough resistance against movement of the firing pin to case the occasional FTFire. There could also be a burr on the pin or pin channel causing the problem. Thirdly, the pin might be damaged, either broken or peened down causing shallow indentation of the primer. My suggestion would be to fully strip the bolt and clean it very thoroughly, paying special attention to the firing pin channel. Strip all the grime and old lube out of there with a product like Rem Action Cleaner, NON-CLORINATED brake cleaner, or carburetor cleaner. The Rem Action Cleaner is probably the safest to use. If you use the others, test it on a small part of the finish before you go crazy. Fully strip the action so you don't spray it on the bluing, wood or plastic parts. Those cleaners can dissolve or soften some plastics. Be careful. Another option would be to soak the parts in a kerosene or diesel fuel. Both will dissolve the crud without harming the bolt assembly.

If, after a thorough cleaning, the gun still misfires, you should take it to a gunsmith for repair.

Mike
Old 08-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Wub
Typical Buck

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, strip it down, inspect and thoroughly clean. I'd say your problem is crud.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:10 AM
Wub
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
Yes, strip it down, inspect and thoroughly clean. I'd say your problem is crud.
Ok, the more I think about it I guess it could be. I try to keep all my guns very clean. I don't shoot this Mossberg much but I can't actually remember ever disassembling the bolt. Maybe I was intimidated by it.