Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.22 Pistol

Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Spike

Default .22 Pistol

Can anyone tell me if I need a pistol permit for a .22 pistol? And please no sarcasm with well you just said it. Just a yes or a no. Its NYS.

Last edited by WinchesterVSBrowning; 08-07-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's no possible way of determining that without knowing the state/city you live in. Call your local sheriff and ask them, they'll be able to tell you in a heartbeat. Since it's a .22, I assume you're not entertaining the idea of carrying it concealed. Some states require a handgun permit to buy/open carry (in for example), and states such as mine (ky) don't.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure about NY.But here in VA. we are not required to have a permit unless carring concealed.I think the NRA site has a link thatwill tell you most of the gun laws in most states.Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was in a Gander Mtn in Buffalo and spotted a High Standard 22lr in their gun case for sale at a great price. I asked to se it with the intention of having them send it to my local Gander Mtn for purchase. The counter guy told me he could not take the gun out of the glass case until I showed him my NY handgun permit. So yes, you need a permit for a 22lr in NY
Old 08-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default yES

Most definatley yes , in NY State no matter where you live you need a pistol permit for any caliber , even a 22 ,
Although permit is no good in NYC or the imediate area of the city ,
Old 08-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

You do in North Carolina...I bought a Ruger Mark II about 25 years ago (dang I'm getting old)...Anyway I had to have one back then, caliber didn't matter...