Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Best auto-loader for the money. >

Best auto-loader for the money.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best auto-loader for the money.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for the Stoeger 2000. Mine has never hiccuped a single time. Be SURE to get the model with the fiber optic front sight (easiest way to tell "older" model from latest). A short while ago (2-4 years-don't remember exactly) Benelli totally revamped the Stoeger facility with all new tooling. At that time they adopted the exact same inertia system (very small change) as Benelli, raised the vent rib slightly, and changed over to fiber optic front bead. The newer 1s are MUCH smoother inside, without all the rough machine marks of the older 1s, and being more reliable They also come with factory installed sling swivels & 5 choke tubes-including an extended turkey tube. The local store did have them for 400$ but I think they've went up since then. They DO recommend you break it in however.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

But don't sweat the break in too much. It's like two boxes of the minimum recommended shell, which is a 2 3/4", 1 1/4oz shot charge, 3 dram eq. shell. Basically, field loads. I followed the recommendation (and then some, because I also shot a bunch of 3" shells ranging from steel BB goose loads to 3" 2oz Hevi-Shot turkey loads), and did see a noticeable decrease in perceived cycle time after about a box and a half of shells. But even from the start it never failed to cycle anything. I even mixed up shells, with 3" mag shells following 2 3/4" shells to see if the action would cycle the bigger shell after the lesser recoil of the shorter shell. It went boom-boom-boom (boom-boom with the plug removed!) every time.

Mike
Old 08-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTW, Neil, glad to see you decided to stick around.

Mike
Old 08-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am a big believer in the three B's for shotguns,

Browning, Beretta & Benelli

So, take Wolverine's advise and shoulder a few of them.

and then you can tell us which one is "best".

Now would be a good time to look for a used shotgun !
Old 08-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Benelli, Benelli, Benelli, Benelli.....and if you can't find a good used one, I'd save until you can buy anew one. I've owned them all and the Benelli is by far the best.
I've had a few different auto including the 11-87, auto5, etc...

Since buying my SBE it's shear heaven, but pricey!

It's gotta feel good TO YOU! Good luck.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Mike-yall persuaded me to hang around.

Originally Posted by driftrider
BTW, Neil, glad to see you decided to stick around.

Mike
Old 08-08-2009, 01:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

While not having much experience with the Benelli,This is JMHO.As mentioned before. After the fit and feel is accounted for my vote is for the Browning Gold.It is one of if not the smoothest,fastest,best shooting shotgun I have ever had the pleasure of owning.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

Personally, I would never buy a used shotgun. Some of mine have been shot 4000+ times and look brand new! Heck, you canrun 500-1000 rounds thru one in a weekend of skeet! Ive never shot or handled a stoeger but here alot of good reviews on them. Or you could save 300-500 more dollars and buy a high-end shotgun like a beretta, benelli, etc. But I,d definetly stay away from used shotguns unless you personally know the owner.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a Browning Gold that works flawlessly,and my hunting partners use Berettas and Benellis that also work flawlessly.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

I paid a little over 800 for my Browning Silver. I have yet tp pick up a shotgun that shoots as good while still being as light.