Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter >

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

Old 08-03-2009, 07:09 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

Default H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

I am definately getting one of these but cannot decide if I should get the laminated stock or the regular wood one....I cannot get the thumbhole version because im a lefty ...So which one do you think looks better?..Im kinda leaning towards the laminated stock because it's a little different from what I usually get and looks a little cooler.Does anyone have the laminated version?Ide like to see some pictures of other peoples laminated ones...especially the newer laminated stock like the one on h&r's website...Please post some pictures if you have either...Thanks
Old 08-04-2009, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Ultra Deluxe in 20ga. (Laminated) and I love it, a real deal tack driver
Old 08-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Spike

Who cares what it looks like?

I recommend the laminated stock becuase it is easier to hang on to when it gets cold and wet. The plain wood seems a little slippery to me.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Site Bouncer

Here is my 12ga H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe with the laminate stock. This is a very heavy gun so the first thing I did was pull the lead weight out of the stock to lighten it up a little. H&R puts it in there to help balance the rifle due to the bull barrel and to tame the recoil. I didn't see the need for either. Now it's better....still heavy but much better.

This is more accurate than any slug gun I have ever owned and I've owned a lot!

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter-h-r-slug-gun.jpg
Old 08-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one a few years back. It was a shooter but, as BigJ71 said, quite heavy. I sold it as I now do centerfire rifles.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:04 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

Ohio is shotgun only.....I just wasnt sure If the deluxe, for the extra money,is worth it...
Old 08-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd buy the laminate stock. But then again, if you know me at all, you know I have a real thing for laminate/stainless guns. Laminate will be a little heavier than solid wood, but it's much tougher and more weather resistant because if the epoxy resin that they bond the sheets of wood together with. We tough and very stable.

Mike
Old 08-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have an older 12 gauge USH deluxe. It is the laminated one and really all the laminated ones look basically the same. There are slight variations in the shades in the layers of wood but that is it.

I like the checkering of the wood the deluxe offers.

Yes it is very, very accurate. I did 3 things to it. First add an elastic slide on slug holder for the stock to hold some readily accessible spare slugs. You gotta get one that is tight enough to be form fitting. And second I took that front sling mount off! It is just in the way and if you slide your fingers/hand right up to it and squeeze off a round you will discover it is NOT a good idea.

I simply looped my sling around the barrel. It will only come off with a little effort when the gun is broken open.

The 3rd thing is absolutely necessary! Get an aftermarket sling! The one that comes with the gun is so slippery that when you carry the gun it keeps slipping around - stooopid. That thing isn't fit to be a belt on Jethro Bodine.

I have 3 H&Rs. A 12 and two 20s. My nephew just bought one (that went back to H&R because the shell chambered too tight and it wouldn't eject) and my frind just bought a 20. The last 2 bought were $269.00 + tax.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

The H&R is a great gun! My cousin has the plain wood stock- I think it is pretty nice. However, the laminate stock will probably hold up better in the long run, so I'd call it a toss-up - pick which one you like.

I'd highly recommend considering the 20 gauge as opposed to the 12. My cousin has the 20 gauge, and it is not heavy at all, points & balances well and the recoil is very mild for a slug gun. He's taken deer out to 125 yards with it - so its not lacking the power department either.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Spike

Does anyone have a thought on scopes for the Ultra Slug Gun. I have the 12 gauge Deluxe on order. I was looking at the Nikon Prostaff. Also, what about a good ammo combination?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.