Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Zeiss

Old 05-21-2003, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Zeiss

Zeiss make quality scopes,that' s for sure! As for D&R I live 20 miles from them and get even better deals face to face...
Old 05-21-2003, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

GTbuzz...sorry to hear that you had a problem with a VarixIII on your gun and it lasted only 20 rounds before going south. Was it mounted correctly, did you turn the scope in the rings to mount the dovetail sights I don' t know , I don' t think it is the luck of the draw...Tasco and simmons would fit that category, but I find it pretty hard to believe that one would fail just basing it on the history I have had with all types of Leupold scopes. If you speak to any custom gun builder of any repute ask them what brand of scope they put on a heavy recoiling rifle. I wouldn' t even dream of putting a Zeiss of any kind of a 338... I have a Zeiss conquest 3x9x40 which is optically a bit brighter than a varixIII and I would not dare put it on that 338 because it is not proven and my Leupolds are. I also owned a Zeiss Diavari 3x9x36 I am not going to book an expensive Elk Hunt somewhere and have unproven equipment on my rifle. Now ask me the same question a couple of years from now after the Conquest has been banged around a bit and we' ll see if I have a different answer.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:55 PM

All scope makers build an occasional dud including Leupold.I wouldn' t be afraid to bolt any premium scope on a heavy kicker to see if it holds up,life is too short to wait for a scope to be proven.The good scopes all carry excellant warranties and the makers will replace with another if you manage to break one.I know of several 458' s and large caliber weatherbys that have Conquests on them and they are holding up well.

woods
Old 05-21-2003, 03:31 PM

oldelkhunter, I am well aware of the proper way to mount a scope. This scope was mounted in a set of Talley Rings and Bases. When I took the scope off the rifle, there were ZERO ring marks whatsoever. I don' t think there was a problem with mounting the scope.

I only posted this to say that all brands of scopes will have a certain percentage of failure. I just happened to be the lucky guy that got a defective Leupold.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Woodseye and GTBuzz, Better Hunters than I and great gunsmiths have depended on Leupold and its quality for many years. It is by no accident that it is recommended by some of the best gunmakers and used by some of the best hunters in this country. Their reputation is Justly deserved. Just because a company comes out with slightly better optics does not mean it is a better scope. The faults I find with the Zeiss (3x9x40) a.) tube is a tad long and b) it is 4 0z heavier than a comparable Leupold.. There is almost 5 1/2" of eye relief with the 1.75x6. Please tell me where I can get a Zeiss that matches that and weighs 10 1/2 ounces. Zeiss has been making fine optics for many years catering to the Euopean market(night hunting) and you will seldom see a rifle more powerful than those in say the 6.5x55/ 270/06/7 rem mag class in use whereas statewide we are magnum crazy. They have not sold enough Conquests and mounted them on enough heavy magnums for the real reliability to show. I have heard about Conquests and read about them and followed articles on every hunting related website and I broke down and bought one, except with the faults i described above it is an excellent scope but very unproven. It will go on my day whitetail hunts and never out of distance of a UPS shipping outlet and that is the extent of it.. for the rugged hunts the Leupold goes along...they have never let me down.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:08 AM

I love all this talk about scopes it reminds me about comparing parts on how to make your car go faster as I use to work on cars a lot. I had a Leupold Vari-X II on my 270 Win and once I set it I never had to make a adjustment in six years. Last year while I sneaking up on some large deer that turned out to be a bunch of does I set my gun down in some rocks with the bipod down but somehow the gun fell over but after checking it it was still zeroed right on. I just ordered a 270 WSM a couple of weeks ago and will be picking it up on Thursday. This time I will be putting on a Zeiss conquest not that I was unhappy with my Leupold but wanted to try something new and in my case the Zeiss is only 12.6 inches long compared to the Leupold 12.5 inches on the Vari-X III I would of bought. The Zeiss weighs one ounce more and I could get both for about the same price.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

After about 600 rounds on a .300 Weatherby, 2 very wet hunting seasons and hundreds of miles bouncing around in a hard plastic scabbard on my ATV, I have had zero problems with my Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40. I also own a 4.5-14X44 and am quite pleased with it also. There will definitely be more Conquests in my future.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

After about 600 rounds on a .300 Weatherby, 2 very wet hunting seasons and hundreds of miles bouncing around in a hard plastic scabbard on my ATV, I have had zero problems with my Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40.
Sounds like the usually Zeiss/Leupold Pissing match.

Let me add some fuel to the fire:

After 30+ years and probably owning close to 100 Leupold scopes in all kinds of configurations never had one let me down. I can' t say that about other scopes I have also owned and some were the so called " High End German Scopes" .
Old 05-23-2003, 10:14 AM

Sounds like the usually Zeiss/Leupold Pissing match.

Let me add some fuel to the fire:
I ignored the first couple posts but you seem to want to debate this so here ya go.I find your Tasco comment to be below your usual post level,guess you want to make everyone think the Conquest can' t take some recoil?Post above says 600 rounds from a 300 weatherby,I know of someone with 1500 rounds of 338 also over on HA.
Sounds like you' re the only one trying to get a pissing match going in a post about Zeiss scopes by " adding fuel to the fire" and acting like Leupolds never break or fail(what is all this talk about Leupolds warranty and quick repair service if no one ever needs to use it cause they never fail?).Conquests are as sturdy as a Leupold and all you can find to pick at about them is a long tube that makes mounting on a long action easier with out offset rings and or bases and a couple oz' s of weight! If 3 1/2-4" of eye relief isn' t enough for you somethings wrong.I can name you a dozen areas where the conquest has it all over the Leupold.I just bought a 3.5x10x50 Leupold and it wouldn' t even fit in the rings of my 110 Savage,wish they took a page out of Conquests book and made the tube long enough to mount it without dumb looking off-set mounts.If your nervous to carry yours OK but most of us buy a scope to use and hunt with, and if it breaks then we worry about it,carry two guns or use QR mounts if its that big of a concern.Zeiss Conquests are running right at 1% failure rate right now and they are selling thousands and thousands of them every year,where are all these failures some act like they' re having since we aren' t seeing or hearing about them on any forums?Talk to Mark at D&R or Chris at SWFA or Bear Basin or Gary Wink at Winks sporting goods,these guys are all selling over 1000 per year each and they all say to a man that the Conquest is one of their lowest returned scopes.And a lot of those Conquests being sold over here are going on magnums and ultra mags not european calibers.I' ve seen more posts on Leupold failures in the last six months than ever before and way more than Conquest failures.To be biased is one thing(we all are to some extent look at me,I like Conquests )but to be blind to the fact that your brand can even fail is unrealistic and sounds more like blind denial.Buzz is a sharp cookie on guns and scopes and shoots sub-one inch groups more than any poster I know of and he knows how to mount a scope as good as you or I.If he says a Leupold took a dump on him you can take it to the bank and be sure it wasn' t something he did wrong.If you like Leupold thats great but to act like they make the only rugged scope is simply not true,and throwing fuel on a fire will usually just make flames []Leupold makes a fine scope(I own several)but Conquest has come out of nowhere and is giving Leupold their first real serious competition in a field they have had to their self for some time and their older design is in need of some upgrades and updates to keep them competitive with the similiar priced Conquests.More and more Leupold users are comparing and finding this out all the time.Find some " real" complaints to make about the Conquest(the 3.5x10x44 is shorter and brighter yet than the 3x9)Every poster I' ve seen on this forum that compared the two brands picked Conquest every time Hmmmmmmmm???????? Wonder Why?Its just them and the two scopes they are comparing and yet their eyes are telling them something I guess.Why would guys like me,Buzz,and Solitary already own multiple Conquests and still buy more if they are really so weak and failure prone?Why haven' t guys that shoot a lot like us shot them to pieces and had scope failures by now?I doubt I' ll live long enough to shoot any of my Conquests to death [X(]Your a nice man and have a lot of good advice to give on hunting and shooting but you seem to want to rain on the parade everytime there is a Conquest post and turn it into a debate or pissing contest about Leupold vs Conquest.I like them both but I can see the advantages each has over the other and I can live with that without all the blind loyalty.

Regards woods
Old 05-23-2003, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

No pissing match here. Did you see Leupold mentioned anywhere in my post? I' ve reported my experience and that' s all I' ll say.

Quick Reply: Zeiss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.