Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: Least Favorite Deer Hunting Bullet
Hornady Interlock
3.23%
Speer Grand Slam
3.23%
Sierra Game King
0%
Federal Fusion
6.45%
Barnes TSX
6.45%
Winchester Power Point
9.68%
Remington Cor-Lokt
22.58%
Nosler Ballistic Tip
12.90%
Nosler Partition
12.90%
Other
22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Least Favorite Bullet for deer hunting

Old 07-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default Least Favorite Bullet for deer hunting

I've seen 100's of threads about what is the best rifle, caliber, brand, scope, etc, etc, etc....
So I got to thinking, if people have a favorite, they must also have a LEAST favorite.

The question is ... What is your LEAST favorite bullet for deer hunting. I talking about bullets designed for deer hunting, so no FMJ or varmint bullets please.

My personal least favorite is the Remington Cor-Lokt... I just can't stand them. I've shot a few deer with them and didn't like the results. Yes, I know people love them and they are very popular but I will never use them for deer hunting again.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

agreed....wont go into the details again....ive just had very bad results...

for the same price, you can shoot power points which IMO are an excellent budget round...ive killed atleast 3 with them from a 3006....VERY consistent in terms of performance...which IMO is where the corelokt lacks....
Old 07-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

ballistic tip ...they're not bonded and will fraggment on impact ,a shoulder shot on a deer will destroy the front end of the deer ..
Old 07-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Kinda funny, of the 175 or so deer I have killed with my .243 at least 85 were killed with CoreLokts...

I killed a dozen or so with PowerPoints, they killed them, but the CoreLokts gave more exit holes...

One problem you will have with this poll is I bet most hunters have killed deer with only 3-4 different bullets and then only 2-3 were killed...That's not enough to give a true test...

I've tried at least a dozen and used on 8-10 deer...

Some love Partitions, in my tests, lung shot deer ran further with Partitions than plain old CoreLokts, or PowerPoints, or GameKings,
or HotCores or InterLokts...
Old 07-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only reason I dont like core locks is because they dont have a real fancy name and dont come in a fancy box with gold lettering.
Even though I have a killed and seen them kill tons of deer.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Least favorite = 12 gauge full-power slugs. They do equal damage to the deer and to your shoulder
Old 07-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buckshot, it's the load that's the least understood and most overrated by a lot of the hunters who use it. It's hard to argue over which rifle bullet is the worst when it comes to whitetails, they're not that large or hard to kill.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Least favorite-Win. Silvertips
Most favorite-Cor-Lokts.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Kinda funny, of the 175 or so deer I have killed with my .243 at least 85 were killed with CoreLokts...

I killed a dozen or so with PowerPoints, they killed them, but the CoreLokts gave more exit holes...

One problem you will have with this poll is I bet most hunters have killed deer with only 3-4 different bullets and then only 2-3 were killed...That's not enough to give a true test...

I've tried at least a dozen and used on 8-10 deer...

Some love Partitions, in my tests, lung shot deer ran further with Partitions than plain old CoreLokts, or PowerPoints, or GameKings,
or HotCores or InterLokts...
NCHAWKEYE,
I agree with your point that most hunters don't have much experiance with a lot of different bullets but sometimes it only takes 2 or 3 kills or unrecovered deer to have someone form an opinion. I've tried most but not all of those that I listed on at least 1 deer (not much to base an opinion on) and the the Core-Lokt is really the only bullet on the list that I have zero confidence in.
There is no argueing with your success, hopefully it continues for many years to come

When I started this thread I was really expecting a lot of different opinions based either on unreasonable expectations or 3rd hand experiance. I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised so far.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

no, i havent killed alot of deer, and no i havent tried every bullet but i have found out alot by firing bullets at 50 pound bags of wet clay. my least favorite bullet would have to be any swift offering. they are way to tough for most deer and need very high velocity to expand. they only made pencil holes past 175 out of a 308. the barnes also was a little to tough for most given ranges. almost all others expanded fully at 400 yards. thats why i dont have any one favorite bullet, and thats why i carry multiple types of bullets on me when i hunt.