HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Chronoed velocity from factory ammo? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/298491-chronoed-velocity-factory-ammo.html)

schoolcraft 07-21-2009 07:15 PM

Chronoed velocity from factory ammo?

So I'm looking at different factory loads to shoot out of my 7mm mag. If they shoot well out of my A-Bolt, I'm looking at Federal Premium/Vital Shock 140gr. Nosler Partitions.
I think they would work VERY well on whitetail as well as all the hogs we have running around.
Federal's website shows a muzzle velocity of 3150fps. I know there are a lot of factors that contribute to what my rifle will get, but I was wondering if it would be fairly close to what's published.
My rifle is a Stainless Stalker, so I thought it's 26" barrel might even beat that # by a little bit.
Just wondering if anyone has actually chonoed their factory 7 mag loads to compair against listed velocities.

Thanks in advance

stalkingbear 07-22-2009 05:50 AM

It's been so long since I used any factory ammo in any of my firearms I couldn't tell you but the 26" barrel on your A-bolt should make it closer than most 24" barrels. More important are the exact chamber/bore dimensions that determine whether you have a "fast" or "slow" barrel. The only factory ammo I've fired is federal blue box Powershok .270 that I bought to zero a buddy's gift rifle and I didn't have need to cronograph it.

#40Fan 07-23-2009 05:11 PM

If you are thinking of using the listed speed to set up a drop chart, then I think you will be ok. If you plan to shoot LONG range, then get a chronograph and find out. Then again, with factory ammo you will probably find a pretty big ES and won't know what to do anyways.

mauser06 07-23-2009 06:42 PM

like #40fan said, it'll be "close" add....man i forget how many FPS per inch of barrel longer than what the ammo is tested at(think its usually 24")

i found out that my 22-250 is likely faster than what federal says...i found out my drop chart is off a pretty significant amount at 350yds with a 200yd zero in a 22-250....

i think it was almost half the number of elevation clicks different...it was atleast 1/4 number of clicks off...meaning i need to click 1/4-1/2 less than what the chart said i should needed...

no substitution for actually knowing and testing...

also the drop chart thing takes some other learning...like most scopes dont click a true 1/4" or whatever they say per turn...if its off an 1/8th of an inch per click, and your clicking 24 clicks and shooting 600yds, your gunna end up missing...

not sure what your wondering the speed for, but just throwin that out there....all lessons im slowly learning...addicting stuff...esp for a guy like me that likes math and numbers...

eldeguello 07-24-2009 06:57 AM

The 7mm Rem. Mag. is one cartridge that it pays to reload for, if you wantoptimum performance from your rifle. The factory ammo has been "wimp-ized" to where it is no improvement over the 280 Rem.