Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Need some Help >

Need some Help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need some Help

Old 07-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Spike

I hadnt thought about the marlin XL7 to much. How is the accuracy on them? Thanks for all the reply's and info so far.

Scott
Old 07-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default my two cents

If I recall correctly, the savage and the vanguard are basically competing against each other in the business market--and for a mere $50 dollars more for the savage, you end up with a trigger highly that's valued by many shooters ( some say it sets the standard for triggers) as well as a scope. It might be an inexpensive scope, but at the very least, you've got one, and it could be handy as a backup if you need it.

That savage for $400 dollars with the Accutrigger and a scope sounds like a very good value in comparison to the others. The Vanguard and Stevens sound more like average deals.

Edit: if budget is a big concern, the Stevens is a reputable rifle, and would give you some extra cash for a better quality scope.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 07-21-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are looking to get a good servicable rifle for a great price the Savage line is a great way to go. The Marlin XL-7 (30/06, 270, and 25/06) would be another good purchase and Marlin is now offering the XS-7 which offers some short action choices (243, 7mm/08, 308).

The Savage is a known quantity, but the Marlin hasn't received any bad press at all so far that I've seen. In fact every article I've read on it has been very complimentary, including it's trigger and accuracy. It's price is pretty darn good to boot.

All the other rifles you mentioned are good choices, but the best buy's for price are the Savage and the Marlin.

Another rifle on the cheap that was selling in the past couple years was the Mossberg line, but they had some inherent feeding problems so I'd steer clear of that.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Spike

Well you guys have me looking at the xl7 and the xs7 now too. I have intended all along to get a .30-06 just because that is what I have shot since I started hunting. I really only hunt whitetail but might have a chance to hunt elk next year as well. I havent really shot to many other calibers and or seen what they will do as far as deer or elk go. Would the .30-06 be a good choice or should I go with something else. Thanks again for all the help and information.

Scott
Old 07-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 30-06 will be PLENTY for elk with the proper bullets. I bought a Marlin XL-7 as a gift for a buddy some time back and it's trigger is every bit the equal of the savage accu-trigger. It averages 5/8" groups at 100 yards-MUCH to my surprise. I'm going to get a XS-7 in 7mm08 for a beater/loaner rifle I was so impressed with his. I topped my buddy's rifle (.270) with a 150$ Nikon prostaff 3x-9x-40mm.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:12 AM

go wit the savage, it's hard to beat for the money. maybe to it with a middle of the road Nikon. great setup that won't set you back too much.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get the Savage.........
Old 07-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Spike

Well it seems that everyone like teh savage idea. Anyone have a 110 synthetic that could give me an idea of accuracy out of the box?