Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Win Mag vs. WSM >

Win Mag vs. WSM

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Win Mag vs. WSM

Old 12-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by snuffynra
i defiantly find the specs on the web sites,but i dont see the weight difference? 1oz!! for the 270 and 5oz for the 300 can that really be considered a difference?

I agree with you but I've heard some say on certain hunts every ounce matters. IMO must hunters would be better off losing a few "ounces" themselves.....myself included.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I reload for both. And can tell you, I can flat out, beat a WSM with a win mag with 180gr bullets. By a large margin.

But one thing for sure with WSM. Its a marketers dream. Just looking thru the posts thru this thread alone shows me, it made for internet generation.

bullistic facts and real data take the back seat to what marketers want you to believe.

I have read that the ammo companies weakened the older magnums to make the WSM's look and sell better.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:37 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I have read that the ammo companies weakened the older magnums to make the WSM's look and sell better.
I don't think so. All the loads I see today are the same as they were decades ago. They just upped the pressure rating of a WSM.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

I do agree about the marketing bit. I have had both the 7 rem mag and a wsm and although my WSM is 100 fps faster than the longer 7 mag I had, it isnt the same across the board. A buddy of mine has 7 rem mag that has identical velocity to my WSM. So, what do you like better? Frankly? i'd take a nice 300 win mag merely due to the availability of ammo. I aint no competition shooter and I cant shoot any better than .75 moa with the best rifle in the world. So, buy what makes you happy I suppose. Spend more time in the woods and less time worrying about ballistics. EJ
Old 12-29-2009, 02:29 AM
Fork Horn

I think the big difference between the two will be the ability of the WM to take heavier bullets. You can find some factory loads with 200 grain bullets in them. This size of bullet would impede on the case capacity of the WSM I would think and therefore give up velocity due to less powder in case. But other than that, they seem to be very close together. I notice that ammo appears to be a little cheaper for the WM probably due to the fact it has been around a while.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

The one thing I like about the WSM is that the bolt action is much shorter and that is nice for chambering the second round. But the cartridges are more expensive which is kind of a bummer, but I think I would still take the wsm over the regular mag.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

I like both the WM and the WSM and both are very close in ballistics. I don’t think it’s fair to say a 300WM will out perform a 300WSM because of case capacity. It won’t, the WSM is a much more efficient cartridge. I load a 190 grain SMK with 70.4 grains of powder in a 300WM and get 2810fps. Now to blow a lot of theories I also load and prefer to shoot my WSM. I am using a 210 grain Berger, yep that real heavy bullet with 61 grains of powder and a 1 in 11 twist barrel and get that bullet cruising out the end of the barrel at 2930fps. 9.4 grains less powder; a bullet that weighs 20 more grains; and get 120fps more velocity, that’s an efficient cartridge. Accuracy is fantastic in both guns, and like I said in the beginning I like both but the WSM is here to stay for may reasons and these are just a few, I also expect you’ll see much better barrel life from the WSM, but in most applications hunters will never use up a barrel if properly taken care of.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Spike

Short answer..the 300wsm and the 300 wm shoot the same out to about 300yards..then the wm has the advantage...having just sold my 300wsm, I have to ask why you would ever want to put yourself through that punishment...lol..im not recoil sensative..i can shoot an 06 all day long..but that 300wsm damn near made me cry...
Old 01-18-2010, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Frank in the Laurel
I think he may have meant that the actual rifle may be a bit lighter due to the sometimes used short actions.. I wouldn't think it would be much but to some ever ounce counts to some individuals...you could adjust the recoil alot by playing with velocities if your a reloader and I believe "BIG GREEN" is actually doing that with power level shells these days....
Frank you dead on with that. My 270WSM I load to full potential with 130 gr Ballistic Tips, and the recoil is pretty mild compared to my 35 Whelen that is identically configured except for the scope and being a long action. When I load to 270 Win velocities the recoil is pretty much non existant. Shooting factory ammo, I'd say go for the parent case. If you plan to shoot bullets heavier than 180, the same. It's a toss up and will come down to your preference though.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

I went through the same decision making process three years ago. I ended up buying the .300 WSM for an elk / mule deer trip in CO. I've very pleased with my choice. I have the Rem 700 Stainless and it never has feed issues. Topped with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm, it is a tack driver.

The recoil is only slightly more than my .30-06. As far as ammo, I use 180 gr Nosler Accubonds for elk and Barnes 130gr (max range bullet - factory load) for deer. I've never had difficulty finding ammo.

Both are great calibers. I prefer the shorter action which is inherently more accurate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.