Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Win Mag vs. WSM >

Win Mag vs. WSM

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Win Mag vs. WSM

Old 11-24-2009, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default no question in my mind

300 WSM. lighter, same ballistics, costs less to reload. Not much of a decision.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

how does it cost less to reload?also how is it lighter? http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...ber=1390364441 http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...ber=1390510149.actually the brass is a little cheaper for the 300 win mag,they both take the same amount of powder. im not trying to be a smart ass i just thought i was missing something,i have looked at as many gun sights as i can think of and cant find a weight difference for the same rifle chambered in either.

Last edited by snuffynra; 11-24-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

I think he may have meant that the actual rifle may be a bit lighter due to the sometimes used short actions.. I wouldn't think it would be much but to some ever ounce counts to some individuals...you could adjust the recoil alot by playing with velocities if your a reloader and I believe "BIG GREEN" is actually doing that with power level shells these days....
Old 11-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

i checked many gun sights for a weight difference,it does stand to reason a short action rifle could be a few ounces lighter,though no company's state that.i do know where you are coming from on every ounce counts,im an avid firearms collector and hunter,as i get older i notice the lighter rifles frequenting the woods with me more often then the big heavy ones.the days of the 20 inch scopes with 4" sunshade on it seem to have dropped to the 2to7 and 1.5 to 4s.being that i am so into firearms,when the 300 wsm was introduced i studied it for some time.after all the hype(comes with most new chamberings)the differences were smaller then most seem to think,i have however found that some long action bolt guns can be harder to mount just any scope on without getting mounts that hang over the bolt.where the shorts seem to fit any.that was the biggest thing i ever found.both exceptional rifles,i would not lean to either one more then the other. lots of guys will use the ammo is harder to get for one(wsm) then the other ,if your typing on the internet then you can get the ammo for either.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well if I had a 300 Win Mag (which I did), I would not run out and buy a 300 WSM. However, that being said, I don't think there is anything the Win Mag can do that the WSM can't. And If I was going to pick one, I would go with the WSM. I don't believe the ammo is an issue. The WSM has gained enough popularity in its short history that ammo is readily available. The rifles for the WSM are of equal quality as the Win Mag but are usually lighter. Personally, I think the WSM may have a slight edge in accuracy because of the more efficeint case. But the old Win Mag can be jusiced up a bit more throught reloading.
But its 6 of one, 1/2 doz of the other. Take your pick and pick the one that fits YOU better.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:44 AM
Typical Buck

Well, I cant speak for the 300, but I can effectively speak for the 7mm WSM and the 7mm Rem and I wouldnt want to live on the difference between them. I frankly love the WSM series but when dealing with the win mag, go with the win mag. The WSM is great, but ammo availability would win the battle for me. EJ
Old 12-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Spike

I'm looking at these two cartridges as well. Most of the opinions I've heard and read are essentially similar to what everyone is saying here. The 300WM will be my choice because the differences bewteen the two are so slight, so why pay extra for the more difficult to find 300WSM ammo?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by snuffynra
i checked many gun sights for a weight difference,it does stand to reason a short action rifle could be a few ounces lighter,though no company's state that.i do know where you are coming from on every ounce counts,im an avid firearms collector and hunter,as i get older i notice the lighter rifles frequenting the woods with me more often then the big heavy ones.the days of the 20 inch scopes with 4" sunshade on it seem to have dropped to the 2to7 and 1.5 to 4s.being that i am so into firearms,when the 300 wsm was introduced i studied it for some time.after all the hype(comes with most new chamberings)the differences were smaller then most seem to think,i have however found that some long action bolt guns can be harder to mount just any scope on without getting mounts that hang over the bolt.where the shorts seem to fit any.that was the biggest thing i ever found.both exceptional rifles,i would not lean to either one more then the other. lots of guys will use the ammo is harder to get for one(wsm) then the other ,if your typing on the internet then you can get the ammo for either.
Do you mean you can't find the specs on the gun makers websites? First one I pulled up was for the configurations of the Browning X-Bolt Composite Stalker:

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...35&type_id=201
Old 12-22-2009, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default i

i defiantly find the specs on the web sites,but i dont see the weight difference? 1oz!! for the 270 and 5oz for the 300 can that really be considered a difference?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:53 AM
bigcountry

I reload for both. And can tell you, I can flat out, beat a WSM with a win mag with 180gr bullets. By a large margin.

But one thing for sure with WSM. Its a marketers dream. Just looking thru the posts thru this thread alone shows me, it made for internet generation.

bullistic facts and real data take the back seat to what marketers want you to believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.