Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
marlin XL-7 or Tikka T3? >

marlin XL-7 or Tikka T3?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

marlin XL-7 or Tikka T3?

Old 03-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

Depends on what i neede at the time and what calibers they were, pricier doesnt always mean better and whats good for risasi may not also be good for podunk.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:54 PM
FA
Fork Horn

OK, your right, everyone would like a better rifle than they can afford. Sure the more expensive rifles are the nicer looking but do they shoot any better? I have a Savage Model 111 in 30-06 with a cheepo scope on it (I paid under 400.00 for the entire gun and scope) and it doesn't shoot any more accurate than my 2,500.00 Kimber. In my opinion there is no such thing as an entry rifle. Rifles that are 5,000.00 are made on the same assembly line a 400.00 rifle is made on just maybe a little fancier wood and bluing.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:44 AM
Typical Buck

No im not kidding, im not hung up on the idea that more expensive is more better. I have friends that have spent 1500 or more on rifles and i have an old ADL in .270 that is factory except for a DIY bedding job, Out to 350 or so ill put my ADL up against anything. Of course rifles coming from the factory like that are th exception not the rule.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

FA, believe it or not, there ARE differences. Fit and finish, tolerances, attention to detail, materials utilized , etc. come to mind immediately. Believe what you want. I'll take my Cooper, you can have the Marlin.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:52 AM
Banned

Chevy Cavalier will go 90 mph, so will a Corvette. It's the same right? Not that I would own either as they are junk IMHO. There must be some reason that guys make a living squaring lugs, crowning barrels, truing bolts, trigger jobs, etc.

I believe Kimber only makes one rifle in the $2,500 range, the Caprivi. Either that or you got taken on a Super America. Regardless, if you can't tell the difference between the two, then stick to Walmart specials.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:19 PM
FA
Fork Horn

BNB, I know there are differences between low and higher end rifles and what they are. All I'm saying is unless you are a PH or have a lot of money the run of the mill rifle would work for most of us. Everyone would like a Cooper but is there really a need to own a shelf of them?

Risasi, Please don't insult my intelligence I know what these rifle are worth and the difference between them. All I was saying is not everyone can afford a cooper or any of the top end rifles. Another point I was trying to make is a Marlin will hit at 200 yards just like a any high end rifle..

Last edited by FA; 03-19-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

FA, Your points are valid. I was responding to your earlier comments. Run of the mill rifles can and do work for their intended purposes. However, my choice is to have fewer (in number) but nicer (in quality) weapons. I've bought and sold lots over the years. I'm now at a stage where I prefer quality over quantity. This holds true for the weapon and the associated optics.

Last edited by bugsNbows; 03-17-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:30 PM
FA
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
FA, Your points are valid. I was responding to your earlier comments. Run of the mill rifles can and do work for their intended purposes. However, my choice is to have fewer (in number) but nicer (in quality) weapons. I've bought and sold lots over the years. I'm now at a stage where I prefer quality over quantity. This holds true for the weapon and the associated optics.

I totally agree with you. Even I have some fine rifles and shotguns. I am a levergun nut and just can't seem to buy enough of them but own a fair share of bolt actions, pumps and semi's even a single or two.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FA
BNB, I know there are differences between low and higher end rifles and what they are. All I'm saying is unless you are a PH or have a lot of money the run of the mill rifle would work for most of us. Everyone would like a Cooper but is there really a need to own a shelf of them?

Risasi, Please don't insult my intelligence I know what these rifle are worth and the difference between them. All I was saying is not everyone can afford a cooper or any of the top end rifles. Another point I was trying to make is my Marlin will hit at 200 yards just like a any high end rifle..

So you have a Savage, Marlin XL-7, and a $2,500 Kimber? You mentioned nothing about affordability. You were saying that a $400 Savage and a $2,500 Kimber (no mention of the model) are essentially the same. Who is trying to insult someones intelligence? Just trying to get the story straight.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Spike

ok... to say that everyone on here would love to hand pick a great smith, come to a decision on caliber, type of action, custom barrel maker, and have their dream gun built is hardly a stretch. I sure would and I would venture to say that anyone who wouldnt either took a damaging blow to the head, or had a head too hard to be damaged. that being said I think the QC at the sako/tikka plants is top notch especially for the price tag on the tikka. I have heard horror stories of certain domestic rifles and 3" groups and a factory saying that's exceptable hunting accuracy. the moa guarantee is very refreshing. the marlin appears to represent an excellent value. especially if you stiffened up that forend. the tikka just doesn't have that problem. thats why it got my vote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.