Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Leupold - Which one? >

Leupold - Which one?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Leupold - Which one?

Old 05-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Leupold - Which one?

Vari-X III 4.5-14x50

Standard or Illuminated Reticle?
Old 05-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leupold - Which one?

Standard all the way. Illuminated cross hair is not required as far as I’m concern.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks trailer. I' m kind of thinking that too. Just fishing for any folk that have them or like them to see what everyone thinks. I can imagine a couple times in the dark forest where it might be handy but then again if it' s too dark to see your crosshairs it' s probably too dark to shoot.

But then again, I don' t know everything so if anyone has experience with them please feel free to post.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:11 PM

Power
I have the 4.5-14x50 mm heavy duplex and love it. The crosshairs are a little heavy but i' ve been told it helps in low light conditions. Something to think about verses the illuminated (that runs on batteries and could breakdown or batteries run out, etc. etc. you know Murphy' s Law). Ive only shot the gun at the 100-500 yrd range but will be putting it to the test 2nd rifle Elk in Col.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:15 PM

I was wondering what that Illuminated Reticle looked like on a bright day with a lot of sun I would think it would be hard to see?
Old 05-06-2003, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool. Thanks for the info. I think I' d stick with the normal Duplex. I' ve always been happy with them in my other scopes. I know a guy that has 3 of these scopes and he says he' ll buy another for his next one too.

BTW, the illumination runs on a battery but it functions as a normal crosshair without the battery, or so I' ve read.

These guys have the scope for under $500 (w/o ill.). Anyone else ever order from them before?

http://www.dnrsports.net
Old 05-06-2003, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what I' ve read you can choose from 5 different colors for the reticle or turn off the unit and have a normal crosshair.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been dealing with D&R for years and they are very reputable ...
Old 05-07-2003, 06:32 AM

I have bought from them before and was pleased with the service. Now I don' t want to make any Leupold fans angry but I would look at the Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16X50 In my opinion it has clearer optics than the Leupold. I have a 4-16X40 Elite 4200 thats awesome.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:34 AM

The Leupold Illuminated Reticle scopes have 11 intensity setting and are able to turn off, so you have a black crosshair. The 2003 models are made with 30mm tubes which provides more light tranmission. You are going to have the added cost of Illuminated, 30mm tube and 30mm rings. I would go with the standard reticle.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Quick Reply: Leupold - Which one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.