Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 let's talk CCW >

let's talk CCW

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

let's talk CCW

Old 07-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default let's talk CCW

So I finally got off my lazy butt and took my CCW class and have been trying to get an appointment with my local sheriff office to complete the application process, but haven't gotten a call back from them yet. SO, apparently there are some CCW classes where the pupils don't even fire thier guns on the range. I had thought that it was required. SO it got me thinkin' about a few things:
1) how much did it cost you to take the CCW class
2) how much did it cost you to complete the application with your sheriffs office
3) did you shoot your gun in your class
and if so
4) how many rounds did you fire your gun during the class
5) how many hours was your CCW class, including shooting time/if applicable
6) how many women were in your class and how many men

It cost me $75. for the CCW class and it sounds like to complete the application processwith my sheriff department will be about another $175.
We fired 50 rounds each in our class with one woman in the class of only 8. Our class was a 4 hour class, with about 1.5 hours in the class room.
We fired from 3' out to about 25 yards. Our instructor had us have a little friendly competition to see who could hit the head of the torsoe target the furtherst back, and we made it back to about 25 yards before the last two of us missed, and I missed by more than the other guy, so he beat me. I was using a Kimber 45 ACP in the Ultra II and the other guy had a 6" ruger 22 lr. It was a fun way to end the day!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: let's talk CCW

in Iowa, Black Hawk county, do paperwork for background check, then talk to Sherrif, then take class

$80.00 for class (ammo included)
think it was $10.00 for background check & $15.00 for permit
did shoot 20 rounds in class
classroom and range time about 5 1/2 hours
18 men in class

Took a written (needed 80%to pass)and shooting test (needed score of 60 at 20 yards).
The guys shot best with .22's of course. Some counties in Iowa won't even let you qualify with a 22.

Many counties in IAwon't give a permit. Sherrif just says no.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

Howler, just noticed your sig line is the same one I use on another forum.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Many counties in IA won't give a permit. Sherrif just says no.
Yep. Like Johnson and Linn counties. The Johnson county sheriffs office will happily let you apply for a permit to carry and pay your (non-refundable) processing fee, but unless you're an LEO, corrections officer or a member of the local political establishment, you have exactly ZERO chance of getting the permit. He will not sign it. They'll gladly take your money though, and they'll let you waste more money and time taking the CCW class, before he'll summarily reject the application at the final stage of processing. That's the law in Iowa. Unequal representation under the law, with the sheriff being the final arbiter of CCW permits, and if the sheriff refuses to sign your permit, you have absolutely no appeal or legal recourse. The sheriffs decision is final.

The crazy thing is, I cannot get a permit to carry because I live in Johnson county and my scumbag liberal sheriff doesn't issue them, but if I lived 15 miles west in Iowa county, the sheriff there runs his county "shall issue". And even worse is that the permit issued by the Iowa county sheriff is valid statewide, so the Iowa cty resident with the permit can carry in Johnson county and there isn't a damn thing that the Johnson county sheriff can do about it. Iowa's system is thoroughly screwed up, but so far after years of trying to change just a few words in the law the Iowa Carry movement has been unsuccessful in making any progress toward making Iowa shall issue.

Mike
Old 07-06-2009, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's screwed up Mike! But, my instructor told us/the class, that he knew of a few sheriff offices refusing to accept applications do to "poor instructors". In other words, there are instructors giving classes without any/very little creditials and the sheriff wasn't accepted any of those people's applications. Apparently it takes very little "class" time to become "qualified" to be an instructor. I do agree with the instructor that I had, in that everyone should "have to" shoot their guns in the class.
Although there was only one woman in my class, apparently there are usually about 50/50 women to men in my area taking the CCW class!
Old 07-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

In TN the class can range anywhere from $25 to $100,I paid $75 and you take a 8hr class and at the end you have to fire 48 rnds at 3yds 7yds and 12 or 15yds,instructors choice.Once you pass that you take a peice of paper saying you completed it to the driver lisence center and submit your finger prints and pay $115 and then wait for up to 90 days,mine took 27..
Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

driftrider, There has been a move in IA to make the state shall issue. Take the time to write your state reps and voice your opinion. Seeing how many shall issue states there are already, makes us seem way behind the times. Or, maybe in this crazy liberal state our reps feel ahead of the times. With gambleing, gay marriage and the such, I wonder how long it is before prostitution is made legal? But we can't call our home our castle! Jim
Old 07-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2eagles

driftrider, There has been a move in IA to make the state shall issue. Take the time to write your state reps and voice your opinion. Seeing how many shall issue states there are already, makes us seem way behind the times. Or, maybe in this crazy liberal state our reps feel ahead of the times. With gambleing, gay marriage and the such, I wonder how long it is before prostitution is made legal? But we can't call our home our castle! Jim
This is true, but every year a bill (or three) gets introduced, and every year it gets killed in committee because the moron in charge of that committee is the democrat axeman for any bill the left doesn't want to see the light of day. And the way legislation works in Iowa, there is but one chance to introduce bills at the beginning of the year. If the get stalled in committee until the deadline, the matter must wait another year before it can be introduced again. The shall issue fight's been going on for years in Iowa with no success. I'm not hopeful, given the political climate in Iowa, that a shall issue bill has much hope. I honestly believe that Illinois will be shall issue before Iowa.

Mike
Old 07-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Colorado is a "must issue" state meaning that if you are legally able to purchase a pistol, your sheriff must issue you a concealed carry permit. Classes run the gamut from a three hour classroom session with no range time ($30) to training sessions that last weeks and cost a fortune. It is up to the instructor. The background check is approximately $150 and the permit must be reissued every five years.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:57 PM

Howler,

I was issued mine in upstate New York. The application was $115, but their is no requirement for attending a CCW class in my county. I'm not even sure if anyone even offers a class in my area. My wife also has hers, which was issued in another county. Same deal, no class required. Some counties require that youpay forthe gun, and then apply for a purchase coupon after you provide the serial numbers, then have to go back and pick it up. My county is pretty good. They give you the coupons ahead of time, so if you come across a good buy away from home you can walk out with it the same day. Many counties in New York do require classes, prior to being issued a permit.

KJ

Quick Reply: let's talk CCW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.